10/15/09

Don't you know? Skunks stink, or do they?

Doesn't Bambi know that skunks are dangerous and stinky? This little scene shows love because how many of us can attest to kissing a skunk, whether it be the four or the two legged variety. In a way Bambi reminds me of God and after you read this passage from the Book of Romans, I think you will agree with me.

Romans 5:1-10 Complete Apostles' Bible
(1) Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
(2) through whom also we have had access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
(3) And not only that, but we also rejoice in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces endurance;
(4) and endurance, character; and character, hope.
(5) And hope does not put to shame, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
(6) For when we were weak, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
(7) For scarcely on behalf of a righteous man will anyone die; yet on behalf of the good, perhaps someone might even dare to die.
(8) But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
(9) Much more then, having been justified now by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
(10) For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
Every day as I sit down at my computer to do the blog, I glance at a little cartoon from the "far side" that is taped to my desk. It shows a scene where there is a party of skunks and one of them is telling another off: "Oh yeah? And you don't stink! You never did and you never will, you mama's little rose". OK, having said this I know I am going to take a little heat from those who see me regularly, but reality is what it is; skunks stink! When I look at the picture above, I see the love of God there and I am happy because even though I am not worth it, God has condescended to love me and more than that to make the "smell" of the sin nonexistent. We all need to recognize the hopeless of humanity without the Christ and the blessing with HIM. Breathe deeply, God will take away all the bad odor and make those who are his smell like the finest perfume ever made. My Mama's little rose cartoon will take on a whole new heavenly meaning from now on! And no, I do NOT have a white streak down my back!!