5/13/12

Moonstruck... or something else???


Remember the movie "Moonstruck", with Nickolas Cage and Cher?  I did, when I saw this picture of that big full moon we had this past week.  The moon in this picture is "orange" because the angle at which the picture was taken utilized our atmosphere to change its color.  I assume this was taken in the Alps, but who knows?  It is interesting to me that we see two luminaries here; one from God (the Moon) and the one on the mountain (from the village's electric lights [or, from Man]).  I ask you: Which of these two is the greater?  Stupid question!  Here is the answer.... 


Psalm 8

For the Chief Musician; on an instrument of Gath. A Psalm by David. 

  1 Yahweh, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth,
who has set your glory above the heavens!

  2 From the lips of babes and infants you have established strength,
because of your adversaries, that you might silence the enemy and the avenger.


  3 When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars, which you have ordained;


   4 what is man, that you think of him?
What is the son of man, that you care for him?


  5 For you have made him a little lower than God,
and crowned him with glory and honor.


  6 You make him ruler over the works of your hands.
You have put all things under his feet:


  7 All sheep and cattle,
yes, and the animals of the field,
  8 The birds of the sky, the fish of the sea,
and whatever passes through the paths of the seas.


  9 Yahweh, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!

Frankly, I like both reflections.  The moon reminds me of a rather large reddish-orange spotlight and the village lights of the house-lights in a theater.  Both are beautiful in their own way, but I think we both know which is the greater.  Life is full of contrasts like this: LOOK!!!  When you really look, I think you will be amazed at the depth, complexity and beauty of God's creations!!! I am!!!  In the meantime, start with the Moon; its a good place to begin meditation.  Who knows; you may grow addicted to thinking about God!!!