11/8/12

Life, beyond the bottle


When I worked for Essex Specialty Products in the mid-eighties, I was employed as a chemical technician.  My supervisor was a chemist with one wacky sense of humor.  He would start each day by telling a joke, then later he would tell a second joke that intertwined with the first and so it would go on until just before I went home.  His genius (besides chemistry) was the everyday his last joke not only related to the one before it, but also to the first one he told that day.  It seemed to me that he viewed life as a sort of perverse joke, because I think he did this to keep from having the problems of life get to him.  The above picture and my recollection of my former boss reminded me of the first chapter of Ecclesiastes...

Ecclesiastes, Chapter 1
 2 “Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher; “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.”  3 What does man gain from all his labor in which he labors under the sun?  4 One generation goes, and another generation comes; but the earth remains forever.  5 The sun also rises, and the sun goes down, and hurries to its place where it rises.  6 The wind goes toward the south, and turns around to the north. It turns around continually as it goes, and the wind returns again to its courses.  7 All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full. To the place where the rivers flow, there they flow again.  8 All things are full of weariness beyond uttering. The eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.  9 That which has been is that which shall be; and that which has been done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.  10 Is there a thing of which it may be said, “Behold, this is new?” It has been long ago, in the ages which were before us.  11 There is no memory of the former; neither shall there be any memory of the latter that are to come, among those that shall come after.

  12 I, the Preacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem.  13 I applied my heart to seek and to search out by wisdom concerning all that is done under the sky. It is a heavy burden that God has given to the sons of men to be afflicted with.  14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and behold, all is vanity and a chasing after wind.  15 That which is crooked can’t be made straight; and that which is lacking can’t be counted.  16 I said to myself, “Behold, I have obtained for myself great wisdom above all who were before me in Jerusalem. Yes, my heart has had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.”  17 I applied my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also was a chasing after wind.  18 For in much wisdom is much grief; and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.

Life is filled with problems and no matter what you do, you are going to get some.  Its discouraging, disheartening, depressing and demoralizing... this life we lead.  All sorts of things happen to us... just look at the picture and read the list-- it will scare you.  the thing is: you can joke about it all you want, but no matter how trivial you try to make it, sooner or later--- you will have to get serious.  When you do, you will probably turn philosophical and it is but a small step from there to the search for God.  Life is more than bottled medicine with a warning label that is unbelievably long; it goes beyond intelligence and wisdom, it is a spiritual journey which can lead to heaven.  And... I hope to see you there!!!