6/6/13

From Gary... The Size that matters




It is raining in west Florida today; tropical storm Andrea is blessing us with several inches of much needed rain.  There have even been pre-tornado air disturbances, but nothing major yet.  While watching channel 9 weather, I was surprised to see how big the system was and even though it is centered 100 miles out in the gulf and traveling North, its effects are slowly increasing in our area (North of Tampa).  This is noteworthy, because it is only the 6th of June- we just started the hurricane season on June 1.  Somehow all this made me feel small and insignificant.  Then I went to the NASA picture of the day and really felt small.  (Click on the link labeled Size above to see this video from you-tube.) As I reflected on it, a couple of passages came to mind and please do read them; they are important...

Psalm 8
1  Yahweh, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth,
who has set your glory above the heavens!
  
2 From the lips of babes and infants you have established strength,
because of your adversaries, that you might silence the enemy and the avenger.

  3 When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars, which you have ordained;

  4 what is man, that you think of him?
What is the son of man, that you care for him?

  5 For you have made him a little lower than God,
and crowned him with glory and honor.

  6 You make him ruler over the works of your hands.
You have put all things under his feet:

  7 All sheep and cattle,
yes, and the animals of the field,

  8 The birds of the sky, the fish of the sea,
and whatever passes through the paths of the seas.

  9 Yahweh, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!


2 Corinthians, Chapter 12
1 It is doubtless not profitable for me to boast. For I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.  2 I know a man in Christ, fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I don’t know, or whether out of the body, I don’t know; God knows), such a one caught up into the third heaven.  3 I know such a man (whether in the body, or outside of the body, I don’t know; God knows),  4 how he was caught up into Paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.  5 On behalf of such a one I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except in my weaknesses.  6 For if I would desire to boast, I will not be foolish; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, so that no man may think more of me than that which he sees in me, or hears from me. 7 By reason of the exceeding greatness of the revelations, that I should not be exalted excessively, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, that I should not be exalted excessively.  8 Concerning this thing, I begged the Lord three times that it might depart from me.  9 He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Most gladly therefore I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest on me. 

The heavens are truly immense and by comparison the tropical storm Andrea is really not worth mentioning.  And if that is true, then how about me?  Yet God has blessed the humans he created with this wonderful world and given us control over it. Once this sinks in, we begin to see how much HE thinks of us- to give us this responsibility.  The Earth is really only a tiny place compared to the vastness of the universe, but it is our gift- so manage it wisely!!!  And if we are faithful, perhaps HE will give us a glimpse of what lies beyond the stars- the third heaven.  In the meantime, just consider this: it is not the size of the universe that really matters- it is the size that we give God in our hearts!!!!