2/3/16

From Gary... Just a thought


Most of the time, I see a picture and it reminds me of something; today is NOT one of those days! The comment on the picture caught my eye. It reminded me that there are pivotal moments in our lives when a single thought can change everything. Like the day I realized that I was hopelessly in love with my wife, or when I saw my firstborn child for the first time. 

Now, most of us realize that thinking good thoughts ultimately produce good results and would heartily agree with Paul's thought to the Philippians...

Philippians, Chapter 4 (WEB)
  8  Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honorable, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue, and if there is any praise, think about these things. 

However, life is far more than just good thoughts; remember, Even Adolph Hitler had a dog. No, we need to go deeper in our search for the true goodness and that leads us to God and ultimately to Jesus. Then we are faced with a choice: Do I accept him as God's son and obey him or not?

Here are two different responses to Jesus...


Matthew, Chapter 26 (WEB)

 62  The high priest stood up, and said to him, “Have you no answer? What is this that these testify against you?”  63 But Jesus held his peace. The high priest answered him, “I adjure you by the living God, that you tell us whether you are the Christ, the Son of God.” 

  64  Jesus said to him, “You have said it. Nevertheless, I tell you, after this you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of the sky.” 

  65  Then the high priest tore his clothing, saying, “He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Behold, now you have heard his blasphemy.  66 What do you think?” 

They answered, “He is worthy of death!”



Matthew, Chapter 16 (WEB)

13 Now when Jesus came into the parts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?” 

14  They said, “Some say John the Baptizer, some, Elijah, and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.” 

15  He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 

16  Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 


 17  Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.   18  I also tell you that you are Peter,  and on this rock I will build my assembly, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.   19  I will give to you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will have been bound in heaven; and whatever you release on earth will have been released in heaven.”   20 Then he commanded the disciples that they should tell no one that he was Jesus the Christ. 


As beautiful as the picture is, it is surpassed by the message; because our life (no matter how bad it may be at this very moment) can change for the better with Jesus as our LORD and SAVIOR. It can be as obvious as the comparison of a dead tree to a wondrous sky or anything in between.

And it all can begin with a thought, then investigation and finally a decision. What do you think?