3/17/16

From Gary... Cones, toothpicks and today


Yesterday, I awoke to find that my dog, Buddy, had a sore on his hind leg that was bleeding.  I took him to the vet, who promptly gave him antibiotics and when I came home, I had high hopes he would soon be better! But, after a short while, he began biting his "hot spot" again.  I was about to make a trip to a pet store for a cone, when my wife discovered one in the shed.  Buddy didn't like it at first, but now has accepted it as "normal" and everything should be fine in a week or two.

And that cone reminded me of toothpicks. This may sound strange, but in 1971 they helped me quit smoking, by providing an alternative to putting a cigarette in my mouth all the time.

Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I think it prolonged my life by decades.  You know, sometimes you just have to face your problems head-on; realize what you need to do and just "do it"

But not everyone can...

Acts, Chapter 24 (WEB)
 22  But Felix, having more exact knowledge concerning the Way, deferred them, saying, “When Lysias, the commanding officer, comes down, I will decide your case.”  23 He ordered the centurion that Paul should be kept in custody, and should have some privileges, and not to forbid any of his friends to serve him or to visit him.  24 But after some days, Felix came with Drusilla, his wife, who was a Jewess, and sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ Jesus.  25 As he reasoned about righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come, Felix was terrified, and answered, “Go your way for this time, and when it is convenient for me, I will summon you.” 

The man in the photo had a phone addiction, Buddy had a licking addition, I had a nicotine problem. In all three instances the problem was solved by doing something, not putting it off. Felix put his spiritual problems off to another time, are you?  

Hint: Neither toothpicks or cones will help- only Jesus!!!

Matthew, Chapter 7 (WEB)

 21  Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.   22  Many will tell me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t we prophesy in your name, in your name cast out demons, and in your name do many mighty works?’   23 Then I will tell them, ‘I never knew you. Depart from me, you who work iniquity.’ 

  24  “Everyone therefore who hears these words of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, who built his house on a rock.   25 The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it didn’t fall, for it was founded on the rock.   26 Everyone who hears these words of mine, and doesn’t do them will be like a foolish man, who built his house on the sand.   27  The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.” 

Humm... What are you going to do today (and not put off until tomorrow)???