5/25/17

Positive by Gary Rose

How true! Being positive means seeing positive possibilities in everything- even the not-so-nice things. Life isn't always easy or pleasant or friendly or kind- it is what it is, period.

But, if you have a positive mindset, even your worst day can be transformed into your best.  

I have always been amazed at the apostle Paul, in that he faced so much opposition, danger and physical hardship that his accomplishments seem almost superhuman.

From my earliest days as a Christian, I was introduced to "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me" Phil. 4:13.  But, what about the context of this passage and its place within the letter to the Philippians for that matter? 

Read on, to see where I am going with this...



Philippians, Chapter 4 (World English Bible)
 8 Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honorable, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report: if there is any virtue and if there is any praise, think about these things.  9 The things which you learned, received, heard, and saw in me: do these things, and the God of peace will be with you. 

  10 But I rejoice in the Lord greatly, that now at length you have revived your thought for me; in which you did indeed take thought, but you lacked opportunity.  11 Not that I speak because of lack, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content in it.  12 I know how to be humbled, and I also know how to abound. In everything and in all things I have learned the secret both to be filled and to be hungry, both to abound and to be in need.  13 I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. (emp. added vs. 13) 14 However you did well that you shared in my affliction.  15 You yourselves also know, you Philippians, that in the beginning of the Good News, when I departed from Macedonia, no assembly shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you only.  16 For even in Thessalonica you sent once and again to my need.  17 Not that I seek for the gift, but I seek for the fruit that increases to your account.  18 But I have all things and abound. I am filled, having received from Epaphroditus the things that came from you, a sweet-smelling fragrance, an acceptable and well-pleasing sacrifice to God.  19 My God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.  20 Now to our God and Father be the glory forever and ever! Amen.


I really believe in vs. 13. Its true because Christ does strengthen you.   How? First, by correct thinking vs. 8. 
Second, by correct living vs.9.  
Third, by providing a correct example to others vs.9.  
Fourth, by appreciating the good will of others vs.10. 
Fifth, by living a life of contentment vs. 11.  
Sixth,  by learning to "make do with what you have" vs. 12.  
Seventh, by seeing the works God has done in your life and what HE is capable of doing in the future vs. 13.  
Eighth, by appreciating the good others do on your behalf vss. 14-19.  
Ninth, by living a life of glorifying God.

This passage from Philippians began with correct thinking and in fact, we are what we think about over our life's course. If we absorb the teachings of the Scriptures we will become positive human beings (Matthew, Chapter 5:1-16 is a good example of this). All the rest of life is but application of thought. And, like in the picture above, it pays to have good companions around you as well (even if they do crazy things, like sitting on dog houses).