7/26/17

Generation ___ by Gary Rose

(click on the above to view the video, or paste the link below into your browser)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfYjGxI6AJ8&list=PLpbaJ3q1gkgToHSMhWpzqmqIPjZvMBdRk&index=7

Recently, I went to a birthday party for one of my granddaughters. She just turned 18, is very smart and although she just graduated from high school, she will very soon acquire her associate degree. Wow!

While the whole family was gathered around the table eating birthday cake, I had the most fascinating discussion with her slightly older brother who has been working for awhile (I'm guessing 6 months to a year). What amazed me, was the depth of the conversation, his profound insights into many topics and his practical insights into the real world. I was genuinely impressed with him and left the house wanting to know more about his generation.

Soon after this, I came across the picture and the video and I encourage you to consider both before reading any further.

The picture provides generic age categories and the video gives background about each generation, but aside from a general mention that recent generations are less religious, it does not say a great deal more than that. But, how could it? Each generation is not made up of identical members. I grew up in the baby-boomer time period, yet my life was far more conservative than my peers.

So, is this all an exercise in futility? No, because after considering the generic characteristics of each group, there remains yet one more standard to consider; how each group (and individual) measures up before God.

And, so we consider the Bible...


Ecclesiastes, Chapter 2 (WEB)

12 I turned myself to consider wisdom, madness, and folly; for what can the king’s successor do? Just that which has been done long ago.  13 Then I saw that wisdom excels folly, as far as light excels darkness.  14 The wise man’s eyes are in his head, and the fool walks in darkness—and yet I perceived that one event happens to them all.  15 Then I said in my heart, “As it happens to the fool, so will it happen even to me; and why was I then more wise?” Then I said in my heart that this also is vanity.  16 For of the wise man, even as of the fool, there is no memory forever, since in the days to come all will have been long forgotten. Indeed, the wise man must die just like the fool! 


  17 So I hated life, because the work that is worked under the sun was grievous to me; for all is vanity and a chasing after wind.  18 I hated all my labor in which I labored under the sun, because I must leave it to the man who comes after me.  19 Who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have rule over all of my labor in which I have labored, and in which I have shown myself wise under the sun. This also is vanity. 


Proverbs, Chapter 30 (WEB)


  11 There is a generation that curses their father, 

and doesn’t bless their mother. 



  12 There is a generation that is pure in their own eyes, 
yet are not washed from their filthiness. 



  13 There is a generation, oh how lofty are their eyes! 
Their eyelids are lifted up. 



  14 There is a generation whose teeth are like swords, 
and their jaws like knives, 
to devour the poor from the earth, and the needy from among men. 

Philippians, Chapter 2 (WEB)

 12 So then, my beloved, even as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.  13 For it is God who works in you both to will and to work, for his good pleasure 14 Do all things without complaining and arguing,  15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without defect in the middle of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you are seen as lights in the world,  16 holding up the word of life, that I may have something to boast in the day of Christ, that I didn’t run in vain nor labor in vain. (emp. added vss. 12-16)


Who really knows what goes through the mind of someone else? Are they a good or a bad person? Are they living a sinful lifestyle? Can they change? Do they even want to change? Good questions all. Only you can answer them, but be sure to read your Bible first and let that (and only that) be your guide.

To me, if you can echo the words of Paul to the Philippians in your life, then you are probably doing well. If not, consider The Christian Worldview, it may surprise you! Start with the Gospel of Matthew, chapters 5 to 7 and I think you will be amazed at the depth of Jesus' thoughts and the implications for your life. Still interested? Read Acts, chapter 2 and find out what to do next.

Any questions? Leave a comment on the blog.

Your friend,

Gary