4/4/18

One rough day by Gary Rose


Yes, it has; and yes I made it too. "How about you". Yesterday, I started to wash my house to remove the algae on the north side (always the worst side). I tried something new (to me); I used a solution of bleach, water and my normal "glossy" detergent. Well, I had problems using it and managed to wreck a favorite pair of shorts in the process. Worse, the heat really got to me, enough so that I had to ask my Linda for help to come indoors. Not a good day!

Today is much better. I felt OK and took my dog for a long walk and chatted with neighbors along my route. On the return trip, I met one of them who I had not previously met (and his little dog, too). We chatted for awhile and then I noticed he had a sock on one foot and the other one was bare. I pointed to the foot with the sock and said something like: Is your foot OK? He answered and said: I don't have a leg.

That floored me. I apologized for my insensitivity  and we went from there to become friends. Somehow, the trip down the hill was slower, but fine. I felt better.

Then, as I perused my pictures, I saw this one of a dog being given a bath and I realized something. No matter how bad things things seem to be, they always could be worse.
 
 Consider this passage from the book of Mark...


 Mark, Chapter 9 (World English Bible)
 14 Coming to the disciples, he saw a great multitude around them, and scribes questioning them.
  15 Immediately all the multitude, when they saw him, were greatly amazed, and running to him, greeted him.
  16 He asked the scribes, “What are you asking them?” 

  17 One of the multitude answered, “Teacher, I brought to you my son, who has a mute spirit;
  18 and wherever it seizes him, it throws him down, and he foams at the mouth, and grinds his teeth, and wastes away. I asked your disciples to cast it out, and they weren’t able.” 

  19 He answered him, “Unbelieving generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him to me.” 

  20 They brought him to him, and when he saw him, immediately the spirit convulsed him, and he fell on the ground, wallowing and foaming at the mouth. 

  21 He asked his father, “How long has it been since this has come to him?” 

He said, “From childhood.
  22 Often it has cast him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us, and help us.” 
  23 Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” 

  24 Immediately the father of the child cried out with tears, “I believe. Help my unbelief!” 

  25 When Jesus saw that a multitude came running together, he rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to him, “You mute and deaf spirit, I command you, come out of him, and never enter him again!” 

  26 After crying out and convulsing him greatly, it came out of him. The boy became like one dead, so much that most of them said, “He is dead.”
  27 But Jesus took him by the hand, and raised him up; and he arose. 

  28 When he had come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, “Why couldn’t we cast it out?”
  29 He said to them, “This kind can come out by nothing, except by prayer and fasting.”
 

This passage made me think: Imagine what it must have been like for the boy?
You think you have problems, Gary? I should listen to my own words: Everyday above ground is a good day; even the bad ones. 

Then I remembered this Helen Keller quote...
 

“I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

One last, haunting question comes to my mind and its a "duesy": Gary, are you learning yet? I hope so. Life can be very good no matter what the circumstances.

Well, I'm done- but no, just one more passage to think about for today...

 

Philippians, Chapter 4 (WEB) 

 4 Rejoice in the Lord always! Again I will say, “Rejoice!”
  5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
  6 In nothing be anxious, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.

 

PS. I hope you like the new Bible font- its called Eagle Lake