4/23/18

Time, philosophy, and the answer by Gary Rose


Amazing picture! To me, it summarizes what I do in writing this blog; it causes me to reflect upon life and then turn to God for guidance in this world. Look around; this world is full of things that are just plain wrong, things that should never be. Sin, in all its ugliness, runs rampant in the world and nothing seems to be done about it.

Sounds like philosophy, doesn't it.  But philosophy without a basis is mere meandering thought. So, where do we start? With none other than the greatest philosopher that ever lived (Solomon) and the book he wrote- Ecclesiastes!

Consider just a few passages from the book, which should give us all pause to think!!!

 Ecclesiastes Chapter 1 (World English Bible)
  9 That which has been is that which shall be; and that which has been done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. 

  14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and behold, all is vanity and a chasing after wind.  (emphasis added vss, 9, 14)

Eccl. 2 (WEB)
  11 Then I looked at all the works that my hands had worked, and at the labor that I had labored to do; and behold, all was vanity and a chasing after wind, and there was no profit under the sun. 

Eccl. 2 (WEB)
 17 So I hated life, because the work that is worked under the sun was grievous to me; for all is vanity and a chasing after wind.
  18 I hated all my labor in which I labored under the sun, because I must leave it to the man who comes after me.
  19 Who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have rule over all of my labor in which I have labored, and in which I have shown myself wise under the sun. This also is vanity. 

  20 Therefore I began to cause my heart to despair concerning all the labor in which I had labored under the sun.
  21 For there is a man whose labor is with wisdom, with knowledge, and with skillfulness; yet he shall leave it for his portion to a man who has not labored for it. This also is vanity and a great evil.
  22 For what does a man have of all his labor and of the striving of his heart, in which he labors under the sun?

Eccl. 3 (WEB)
  16 Moreover I saw under the sun, in the place of justice, that wickedness was there; and in the place of righteousness, that wickedness was there.

Eccl. 4 (WEB)
  1 Then I returned and saw all the oppressions that are done under the sun: and behold, the tears of those who were oppressed, and they had no comforter; and on the side of their oppressors there was power; but they had no comforter.
  2 Therefore I praised the dead who have been long dead more than the living who are yet alive.
  3 Yes, better than them both is him who has not yet been, who has not seen the evil work that is done under the sun.

 Eccl. 9 (WEB)
  11 I returned and saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happen to them all.
  12 For man also doesn’t know his time. As the fish that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare, even so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falls suddenly on them.

Eccl. 12 (WEB)
 9 Further, because the Preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge. Yes, he pondered, sought out, and set in order many proverbs.
  10 The Preacher sought to find out acceptable words, and that which was written blamelessly, words of truth.
  11 The words of the wise are like goads; and like nails well fastened are words from the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd.
  12 Furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh. 
  13 This is the end of the matter. All has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments; for this is the whole duty of man.
  14
 For God will bring every work into judgment, with every hidden thing, whether it is good, or whether it is evil. (emphasis added vss.13-14)

Now, those first two verses (1:9, 10) were what came to my mind when I looked at the picture. Then as I went through Ecclesiastes, I couldn't help but notice how depressing life is "under the sun". Life just doesn't seem fair, and just does not make sense. Even with the greatest of philosophers, there is no answer to: What is the point of life?

Yet, if you keep reading, you will find that there is an answer. God is that answer (vs.13f.).  Beyond this life, God will eventually straighten everything out, and both good and evil will be revealed and judged appropriately.

Our part is to fear God and do what HE wants us to. God will take care of all the rest. Believe that because its right!!

Not doing that- change, follow God and live eternally!!!