9/7/18

The left, the right and the center of our life by Gary Rose





I saw the quote by Denzel Washington and thought : How true this is! Then, when I perused Facebook, I saw this Left Brain versus Right Brain graphic and again, another thought : When I read my Bible, do I use my left or right brain? Like most of us, I do have favorite books of the New Testament,and for me they are Romans and 2 Corinthians. I love the logic found in Romans and the heartfelt emotions found in Corinthians. But, The Bible is far more valuable than just personal preference, as it was designed by our maker to interact with our entire life.


I think it is a natural tendency that we all tend to gravitate towards those things we like and avoid those we don’t. But as you review the picture of the “bookshelf” of the Bible above, notice that both the Old and New Test are categorized. Personally, I like Jesus’ - The Law, the Prophets and the Psalms for the Old Testament and my own Law, History, Literature and Prophecy for the New Testament.

Right about now, you are probably thinking- Well, that’s just you, I will do just what I want with the Bible ! I can take it or leave it, or even change what I want ! That is dangerous, and here is why...



The Warning

Deuteronomy 4 (WEB)
2 You shall not add to the word which I command you, neither shall you take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of Yahweh your God which I command you.

Revelation 22 (WEB)
18 I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book, if anyone adds to them, may God add to him the plagues which are written in this book.  19 If anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, may God take away his part from the tree of life, and out of the holy city, which are written in this book.

From the Pentateuch to the book of Revelation, all of God’s words are important. So important, that God emphatically warns against changing anything! And because they are so important, dire consequences are associated with changing anything God has said!! So, don’t do it!!

An Exhortation
1 Peter 4 (WEB)
11 If anyone speaks, let it be as it were the very words of God. If anyone serves, let it be as of the strength which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

God wants to be the center of your life, so let HIS thoughts be your thoughts; refer to his word often and quote it if you can. Now, that is safe ground!!

An Example

Acts 20 (World English Bible)
 25  “Now, behold, I know that you all, among whom I went about preaching the Kingdom of God, will see my face no more.  26 Therefore I testify to you this day that I am clean from the blood of all men,  27 for I didn’t shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God

Paul’s words of Acts 20 should prove as a valuable example for us. He held back nothing and shared the “whole counsel of God”. Do we? Specifically, do I?


The Reason

1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.  2 When he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was hungry afterward.  3 The tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” 

  
4  But he answered, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.’”

  
5  Then the devil took him into the holy city. He set him on the pinnacle of the temple,  6 and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written, ‘He will put his angels in charge of you.’ and,
‘On their hands they will bear you up,
so that you don’t dash your foot against a stone.’”
 
 7  Jesus said to him, “Again, it is written, ‘You shall not test the Lord, your God.’”
  8  Again, the devil took him to an exceedingly high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world, and their glory.  9 He said to him, “I will give you all of these things, if you will fall down and worship me.”

  
10  Then Jesus said to him, “Get behind me, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and you shall serve him only.’” 

I think the reason God’s word is so important is that it helps us avoid the various temptations to sin. If humanity had listened to God in the first place, we would still be in the Garden of Eden, but God has worked things out so that we can live with him eternally. All we have to do is listen, learn, and practice what God wants us to do – for the rest of our lives.

And, therefore ….

You can use whatever side of your brain you want !!!