6/12/19

Old Paths by Gary Rose




This is one of the earliest pictures I have; that’s me with the over-sized cowboy hat, along with my younger brother Dave and my first dog named Pal. My best guess is that the year is about 1954, plus or minus a year or two. Things have changed where I grew up. The road is paved, all the barns and that car are gone, and Pal died shortly after this picture was taken. That old dilapidated farmhouse that we grew up in still stands, but it is in drastic need of an renovation. Dave and I are in what is euphemistically called our “Golden years” (which is really just another way of saying – O-L-D).

The years before second grade were among the best of my childhood, with my strongest memories being of my maternal grandmother. She was absolutely devoted to me and did everything in her power to see I was raised correctly. I remember that she strongly encouraged me to go to Sunday-School every week, and as I reflect upon those days, I realize now how important her efforts to expose me to the Bible would be later on in life.

So much for old photos and memories, but those old paths are important for they were the foundation of my life. And when I think of “Old Paths”, I remember this passage from the book of Jeremiah…


Jeremiah 6 ( World English Bible )
Jer 6:16, Thus says Yahweh, “Stand in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, ‘Where is the good way?’ and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’
Jer 6:17, I set watchmen over you, saying, ‘Listen to the sound of the trumpet!’ But they said, ‘We will not listen!’
Jer 6:18, Therefore hear, you nations, and know, congregation, what is among them.
Jer 6:19, Hear, earth! Behold, I will bring evil on this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not listened to my words; and as for my law, they have rejected it.


For the Jews, the “Old Paths” were the Law, with its rules and regulations, for Christians, rest is found in Jesus.

Matthew 11 (WEB)
Mat 11:28, “Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29, Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart; and you will find rest for your souls.
Mat 11:30, For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Ultimately, the Jews wouldn’t listen to the Law and Jerusalem was destroyed, but for those who listen to Jesus, the way to God is clear and free of burdens. As for me, I will continue to seek the “Old Paths”, remember my commitment to God and rejoice in the fact that God is still working on me (even though I no longer wear a cowboy hat). He can change your life for the better as well, just seek the “Old paths” of the Bible and learn all about Jesus; you will be glad you did – I am!