7/12/19

Old Things by Gary Rose


Over the years, I have tried many razors and for some time, I chose the newest, most unusual ones I could find. Then a few short years ago, I went back to the old style seen above. Why? It seems to me that if something does the job, it doesn’t really matter how old it is. In fact, sometimes older things are the best. And then I thought of the following verse from the Old Testament book of Jeremiah….

Jeremiah 6 ( World English Bible )
 16  Thus says Yahweh, “Stand in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, ‘Where is the good way?’ and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Today, there seems to be almost an endless styles of churches, with each one having its own peculiar way of doing things. In our society, it seems that there is no longer any “right” or “wrong”, just personal preference. This idea contradicts the very nature of God, who is perfect and pure and does not change. Jesus said:

John 4 (WEB)
24  God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

Since the second part of the above statement is a command, then doing whatever one wants to do at church (and this means worship) is religiously incorrect. As for me, I will look to the Bible in all matters of religion. The Bible says...

2 John 1 ( WEB )
 9 Whoever transgresses and doesn’t remain in the teaching of Christ, doesn’t have God. He who remains in the teaching, the same has both the Father and the Son. passage led me to another passage of Scripture, this time from Matthew’s Gospel:

Matthew 17 ( WEB )
 After six days, Jesus took with him Peter, James, and John his brother, and brought them up into a high mountain by themselves.
  
2 He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his garments became as white as the light.
  
3 Behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them talking with him.
  
4  Peter answered, and said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you want, let’s make three tents here: one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”
  
5  While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them. Behold, a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Listen to him.”
Once again, Jesus said:

Matthew 28 ( WEB )
18 Jesus came to them and spoke to them, saying, All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth
  
19  Go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 
  
20  teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”  Amen.

Question: Do we really listen to Jesus or do we dismiss his words because they were said a long time ago?
 
Answer very carefully.