12/23/19

From Color TO Black and White by Gary Rose



I think this picture is precious. Children view the world in its simplest of ways. Since one of the primary methods of information for children is the television set, its only natural for them to think of the world in color or black and white (TV set).

Going beyond this simple question, there is another one that is applicable today. Can the world be seen in black and white (absolutes) or is the world color (shades of absolute)? To put it another way; is there truth or is everything just opinion? As is my custom, I think in terms of what the Bible has to say about this. Since the topic is so large, I thought to focus in on just on book, the Gospel according to John.


Truth is more than a concept

John 1:14 ( World English Bible )
[14] The Word became flesh, and lived among us. We saw his glory, such glory as of the one and only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
[17] For the law was given through Moses. Grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.

John 3 ( WEB )
[19] This is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their works were evil. [20] For everyone who does evil hates the light, and doesn’t come to the light, lest his works would be exposed. [21] But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his works may be revealed, that they have been done in God.”

God alone is perfect, we are not. God had given us the truth in the form of the old testament, but in Jesus he gave us the truth from our own human perspective. An example of how to apply the old testament, in truth. Not as normal human beings lived it, but as how GOD lived it. In Jesus, the truth was a combination of understanding, attitude and doing. More than this, he LIVED IT PERFECTLY. And by his teachings we can have his understanding, today.


There is ONE truth

John 14 ( WEB )
[1] “Don’t let your heart be troubled. Believe in God. Believe also in me. [2] In my Father’s house are many homes. If it weren’t so, I would have told you. I am going to prepare a place for you. [3] If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and will receive you to myself; that where I am, you may be there also. [4] Where I go, you know, and you know the way.” [5] Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going. How can we know the way?” [6] Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me.


Truth: there is only ONE truth. When Jesus said “I am.. the truth”, he was literally saying in Greek: I, myself am the truth. His resurrection from the dead and his ascension into heaven, PROVE THIS. Therefore, what ANYONE else may say is truth, really doesn’t matter. NOT Buddha, Mohammad, nor any other religious teacher. ONLY the truth of Jesus will lead you to God and eternal life with him.
The effect of truth

John 8 ( WEB )
[31] Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. [32] You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”* Psalm 119:45

John 17 ( WEB )
[17] Sanctify them in your truth. Your word is truth.

John 4 ( WEB )
Woman, believe me, the hour comes, when neither in this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, will you worship the Father. [22] You worship that which you don’t know. We worship that which we know; for salvation is from the Jews. [23] But the hour comes, and now is, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such to be his worshippers. [24] God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”


The words that Jesus spoke are life and lively. Those words will lead to a person to salvation from sin; to live a life that is separated from sin and one that will worship him correctly. These things are not optional, they are commanded. You can’t really know truth of you don’t obey it.

Truth is a choice

John 18 ( WEB )
[37] Pilate therefore said to him, “Are you a king then?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this reason I have been born, and for this reason I have come into the world, that I should testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.”
[38] Pilate said to him, “What is truth?” When he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, “I find no basis for a charge against him.


Truth is a choice: You will either listen to the one and only truth or a non-truth, there are no other options. If your heart is right you will listen, if not, well you will be like Pilate and question its very existence.

The child in the picture asks if the world is color or black and white. My answer would be- We all see the world in color, but...

the TRUTH is always in black and white!