3/23/20

Of cartoons, shopping carts and FAITH by Gary Rose



 








Today, as I perused Facebook, I saw a cartoon that depicted Jesus sitting on a rock saying: Don’t lay up treasures for yourselves on the earth”, then someone in the crowd says: “What about toilet paper”? Jesus responds with:Let me speak more s-l-o-w-l-y… I thought to myself – since when did a common item like toilet paper become a “treasure”. The answer came to me very quickly- When you don’t have it, Gary. As I continued my browsing, I came along this picture and I thought to myself: how ridiculous! But then, its not that ridiculous, its very sad. In the mad scramble to gather what we need before the stores run out of everything, we can very easily cross a line from need to greed. I wonder, if we leave the store with a cart like this, filled to the brim with EVERYTHING, exactly what does that say about our faith?

Jesus said:

Matthew 6 ( World English Bible )
Don’t lay up treasures for yourselves on the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break through and steal;   [20]  but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consume, and where thieves don’t break through and steal;   [21]  for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 
And
Which of you by being anxious, can add one moment  to his lifespan?   [28]  Why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow. They don’t toil, neither do they spin,   [29]  yet I tell you that even Solomon in all his glory was not dressed like one of these.  [30]  But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today exists and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, won’t he much more clothe you, you of little faith? 
  [31] Therefore don’t be anxious, saying, ‘What will we eat?’, ‘What will we drink?’ or, ‘With what will we be clothed?’   [32]  For the Gentiles seek after all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.   [33]  But seek first God’s Kingdom and his righteousness; and all these things will be given to you as well.   [34]  Therefore don’t be anxious for tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Each day’s own evil is sufficient. 

Now, let me speak more s-l-o-w-l-y
 

Have faith in God; do not worry!