3/9/20

When opportunity knocks... by Gary Rose



This past Friday the garbage men came early; this is quite unusual, but it does happen from time to time. What was unique though, was my wife’s reaction. I was working at my computer, writing my Friday blog post when she came in the front door all excited. She kept saying: You gotta see this, you gotta see this – over an over. So, I arose from my chair and went outside as quickly as I could. But, alas the garbage truck was gone. So, I turned to my Linda and asked: OK, what was that all about?! She explained; I was tending my flowers when they came and I happened to turn around to see a garbage man pick up an old chair that someone had discarded and sat on it. Huh, I said- What’s the big deal about that? Well, she said- he put the chair behind the truck and sat on it and when the truck went forward he grabbed hold of the back of the truck and just rolled along behind it. Cool, I said and went back into the house. About an hour later, as I was going down the hill on Pal’s dog walk, the garbage truck came around the corner with that man still sitting in that chair! I asked him if I could take a picture, Pal jumped onto his lap and then (ALL TOO QUICKLY, HE HAD TO GO BACK TO WORK). I wished I had had more time to strike up a conversation with him, but at least I took the picture. I thought about it a bit and realized that opportunities to speak to others come and go all to quickly. We must seize whatever opportunities lie before us to talk about Jesus. And I thought of these two passages of Scripture…


Colossians 4 ( World English Bible )
 [1] Masters, give to your servants that which is just and equal, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven. 

  [2]  Continue steadfastly in prayer, watching therein with thanksgiving;  [3] praying together for us also, that God may open to us a door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds;  [4] that I may reveal it as I ought to speak.  [5] Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time.  [6] Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. 

2 Timothy 4 ( WEB )
[1] I command you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at his appearing and his Kingdom:  [2] preach the word; be urgent in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with all patience and teaching.  [3] For the time will come when they will not listen to the sound doctrine, but, having itching ears, will heap up for themselves teachers after their own lusts;  [4] and will turn away their ears from the truth, and turn aside to fables.  [5] But you be sober in all things, suffer hardship, do the work of an evangelist, and fulfill your ministry. 


That garbage man ( they were called can-tossers when I did that job in 1968 ) took advantage of an opportunity to make his life a little easier (with that chair with wheels) and we, as Christians need to seize every moment so we can share the Good News of Jesus.

ps. The next time I see that can-tosser, we WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT!