4/24/20

Small faith, big results by Gary Rose


When I saved this picture, I labeled it: ONE BIG SUNFLOWER. And, IT IS! This picture caused me to think of Jesus’ parable about the mustard seed. Jesus says…


Matthew 13 ( World English Bible )
31, He set another parable before them, saying, “The Kingdom of Heaven is like a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field;
32, which indeed is smaller than all seeds. But when it is grown, it is greater than the herbs, and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in its branches.”


Consider, if the mustard seed is likened to faith (Matt. 17:15-21) and the heart of man is the field of Matthew 13 (above) then all things can become possible. Now, I realize that a sunflower is not a mustard seed, but all this is figurative language. I was curious about what a mustard seed plant looked like, so I did a bit of research. A mustard seed can be either a plant or a tree.

Regarding the plant…
 
People's Dictionary of the Bible, Mustard
Mat 13:31-32; Mat 17:20; Luk 17:6. This plant is the black mustard (Sinapis nigra). In the fertile and warm soil of Palestine, especially when cultivated, this herb must have reached considerable size. Dr. Thomson has seen it there as tall as the horse and his rider, and the ground near the Sea of Galilee is often "gilded over with its yellow flowers."

The mustard seed Tree...
This picture is probably the one Jesus was referring to:
 
Regardless of which one was in the mind of Jesus, the point is:small faith can produce big results. Ask yourself this… Do I have this sort of faith? The answer might surprise you; I know it surprised me!