5/29/20

"Greetings" by Gary Rose




This morning as I sat down to my first cup of the day, I thought how it just said "good morning" to me and somehow it made my day a bit better. People greet one another in all sorts of ways; from that casual "Hi" or semi-formal "Hello" to the more formal "Good Morning". I remember being taught that in the New Testament it was common to say either "Grace to you" or "Peace to you" and have the other person respond in the one you did not start with. Just for fun, I did a quick search on the word "Greet" and found that it was used 51 times in the Bible. What surprised me was the one book that it was used in the most...



... for, when I think of Paul's letter to the Romans, I think of a book of logic and theology, not a book of greetings. But, Paul was not only logical, he was a Christian and that made him a loving person.

As I considered these things, I remember a very famous song for 1967 by Louis Armstrong. Listen to the all the song and it will give you a better understanding of what it really means to greet someone.



To me, greeting are summed up in the following verse, said by none other than Jesus, himself...

John 13:34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, just like I have loved you; that you also love one another. "
( World  English  Bible )


And THAT is better than any cup of coffee I have ever had!