6/8/20

The Prism by Gary Rose



Today, it has become common in our society to polarize our thinking in terms of “absolutely right” and “absolutely wrong”. I find this absurd in the extreme, for it is a radical way of thinking. It would be correct if we knew everything about everything, but we do not; only God knows everything. Some of us do know a great deal about certain topics of discussion due to study or experience, but that does NOT mean that we can not learn from another point of view. When it comes to matters concerning religion, opinions are as varied as the stars in the sky and we should be careful about giving our opinion. More than that, we must be diligent to speak where the Scriptures have spoken and be silent where they have not. Again, why? Because the Scriptures are like a prism (something like the picture above) to correctly focus our thoughts and understanding. Consider the following passages from the Bible…


Matthew 28 ( World English Bible )

18 Jesus came to them and spoke to them, saying, "“All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth. "

19 "Go," * "and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, "

20 "teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”" Amen.


John 12 ( WEB )

44 Jesus cried out and said, "“Whoever believes in me, believes not in me, but in him who sent me. "

45 "He who sees me sees him who sent me. "

46 "I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in me may not remain in the darkness. "

47 "If anyone listens to my sayings, and doesn’t believe, I don’t judge him. For I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. "

48 "He who rejects me, and doesn’t receive my sayings, has one who judges him. The word that I spoke, the same will judge him in the last day. "

49 "For I spoke not from myself, but the Father who sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. "

50 "I know that his commandment is eternal life. The things therefore which I speak, even as the Father has said to me, so I speak.”"


2 Timothy 3 ( WEB )

16 Every Scripture is God-breathed and * profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness,

17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.


2 Peter 1 ( WEB )

1 Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained a like precious faith with us in the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:

2 Grace to you and peace be multiplied in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord,

3 seeing that his divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and virtue;

4 by which he has granted to us his precious and exceedingly great promises; that through these you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world by lust.


1 Peter 4 ( WEB )

11 If anyone speaks, let it be as it were the very words of God. If anyone serves, let it be as of the strength which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.


1 Corinthians 4 ( WEB )

1 So let a man think of us as Christ’s servants, and stewards of God’s mysteries.

2 Here, moreover, it is required of stewards, that they be found faithful.

3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you, or by man’s judgment. Yes, I don’t judge my own self.

4 For I know nothing against myself. Yet I am not justified by this, but he who judges me is the Lord.

5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each man will get his praise from God.

6 Now these things, brothers, I have in a figure transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that in us you might learn not to think beyond the things which are written, that none of you be puffed up against one another.



When it comes to the Scriptures, our attitude should be to refer to them for understanding, consideration and as the one and only authority; in fact, THE FINAL AUTHORITY. Let us humbly apply them to our discussions and trust in God to give us understanding and the wisdom to use them appropriately!


One last thought… God’s viewpoint (or prism) is the one we all should adhere to for God’s words are the only ones that are perfect.