7/15/20

Being there by Gary Rose



Many thanks to my good friend, Harry Shepherd, for sending me this picture. It immediately caught my attention and I absolutely LOVE IT!


To me, it is almost like being there. The sand on the beach, the gentle receding of the waves, and the whitewater associated with those waves, seems real. The rainbows, the lightning strikes add a complexity that is amazing. When you consider all those color variations in the sky and on the sea, you have a picture that is truly worth keeping and remembering from time to time. (and I will, too)


Some experiences stay with you long after they are over; your graduation from school, your wedding, the birth of your first child and so forth. Since we are all a bit different, what we remember varies from person to person, but some memories stay with us forever.


When I think about these things, I remember Saul’s (later called the apostle Paul) post resurrection encounter with Jesus and also his recollection of another experience that seems fantastic to me, even though I have read it time and time again. Paul says…


2 Corinthians 12 ( World English Bible )

1 It is doubtless not profitable for me to boast. For I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

2 I know a man in Christ, fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I don’t know, or whether out of the body, I don’t know; God knows), such a one caught up into the third heaven.

3 I know such a man (whether in the body, or outside of the body, I don’t know; God knows),

4 how he was caught up into Paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

5 On behalf of such a one I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except in my weaknesses.

6 For if I would desire to boast, I will not be foolish; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, so that no man may think more of me than that which he sees in me, or hears from me.

7 By reason of the exceeding greatness of the revelations, that I should not be exalted excessively, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, that I should not be exalted excessively.

8 Concerning this thing, I begged the Lord three times that it might depart from me.

9 He has said to me, "“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”" Most gladly therefore I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest on me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in weaknesses, in injuries, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then am I strong.


Imagine being caught up into the third heaven (where God Almighty dwells) and experiencing what Paul did? I have no words to describe the indescribable. In light of the revelations given to Paul, he was also given a “thorn in the flesh” in order to prevent him from being puffed up. Paul realized that this “problem” ultimately was for his benefit and accepted and even took pleasure in it (verse 10, above).


God worked in the life of Paul and he can work in yours as well – if you will only let HIM. I will try; will you?