8/10/20

"Gary" by Gary Rose

 

When I first saw this cartoon, it made me a little nervous. While I have had people say not-so-nice things about me in the past, only a very, very few of them would do that to my face – let alone in front of a large crowd. This cartoon bothered me because the person named “Gary” responded in language that I blocked out on purpose, because I didn’t like what he said and would not want it to have any remote association with my name.


Frankly, the “Gary” in the picture is probably not a nice person and I would really like it if he would go by a nickname; something appropriate to his character- how about tacky?


Yet, while “Jesus” is disappointed in “Gary”, I know that he still loves him. Yes, even in spite of that gesture of disappointment, even then. Now, I started to put this picture in the scrap pile, but then I realized it had great value. Why? Because it gets personal and we all need to realize that we commit sin from time to time. You know, the more we really look at ourselves the more we come to understand how much we do sin. (hopefully, unwittingly)


Now, there just might be some very religious people out there; people who might take offense at pointing out to them that they sin. To those people I say: Even the apostles committed sin. Consider Paul; he said…


1 Timothy 1 ( World English Bible )

15 The saying is faithful and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

16 However, for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first, Jesus Christ might display all his patience, for an example of those who were going to believe in him for eternal life.

17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.


Paul, the man who penned a large portion of our New Testament considered himself the chief of sinners. But, he didn’t stop there; he thought what genuine disciples do- he realized that God loved him in spite of himself and was willing to help him overcome his sin- and then he praised God.


Follow Paul’s example: Humility, a healthy self-image and praising God is a good place to start on the road to advanced discipleship!


PS: Please don’t ask me what I crossed out- its a little embarrassing.