8/14/20

Harmony by Gary Rose

 

  

Well, here is something new (at least to me, anyway). Three people playing a violin. I hesitate to use the term violin, because it is unlike any violin I have ever seen. I can only wonder what the sound would be like; my guess… in a word – interesting! It seems logical to me that each of these ladies would play a different part (perhaps, scale would be the term [I’m guessing here]), otherwise- What would be the point? So, it seems to me that harmony would be the object.


The church we read about in the Bible is somewhat similar to this “violin”. The apostle Paul says…


1 Corinthians 12 ( World English Bible )

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually.

28 God has set some in the assembly: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracle workers, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, and various kinds of languages.

29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all miracle workers?

30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with various languages? Do all interpret?

31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. Moreover, I show a most excellent way to you.


The Christians of the first century had different gifts and taken collectively, they produced a harmonic Christianity. Some works may seem more important to us than others, but in God’s design each person has a different function, and we all have equal worth, for Jesus died to for us all.


More than this, verse 31 (above) points to a more excellent way (found in chapter 13) and that is love. If we truly love, we accept what talents God has given both ourselves and others and celebrate them in harmony with one another.


Working together in love, each person will play their part to produce a beautiful harmonic life that glorifies God. What this sounds like to God is a mystery to me, but I guess I will just have to add this mystery to my long list of questions to ask the Almighty when I get to heaven. I just can’t wait to hear HIS response…. Undoubtedly, HIS answer will be melodious!