12/9/20

Moonrise by Gary Rose

 

What a spectacular picture! The moonrise reflecting upon the water in thousands upon thousands of tiny islands of light. And that moon, with its slightly reddish-gold hue is contrasted by different colored clouds; WONDERFUL!


Frankly, I don’t think about moonrise very much- sunrise,yes; moonrise,no. But moonrise is important, and as I think about the following passage from the book of Genesis, I realize how important. Genesis chapter 1 says…



Genesis 1 ( World English Bible )

13 There was evening and there was morning, a third day.

14 God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of sky to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years;

15 and let them be for lights in the expanse of sky to give light on the earth;” and it was so.

16 God made the two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He also made the stars.

17 God set them in the expanse of sky to give light to the earth,

18 and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. God saw that it was good.



It is a human failing of mine to read something and gloss-over some important fact. Notice verse 13 above. Evening is listed first; odd isn’t it. For me, the day begins at sunrise, not sunset. So, I read the chapter once again… humm, the other days do the same- evening first. Next, I consulted a half dozen other translations- same thing.


One other thing, that moon, that underestimated moon (by me) rules over the night. Now, it may be a lesser light, but it is still important. I know that different cultures have the day beginning at different times. Humm, I wonder if I should rethink my concepts of time passage to coincide with the Bible.


Well, this is probably much to do about nothing, or maybe not? You decide. As for me, I intend to pay more attention to moonrise in the future. And, try to read my Bible a bit slower to understand more of what is being said. How about you?