1/15/21

I believe in... by Gary Rose

 


Remember, when you were young, people would ask you questions like: What do you want to be when you grow up? Most didn’t know until they were in high school, others even later. Me, well, I just knew I wanted to marry Linda Langenbach. It wasn’t until I was out of school ten years that I decided I wanted to serve God. Initially, that took the form of attending Northeast School of Biblical Studies ( a school of preaching); much, much later, I decided to start blogging and continue to do that several times a week and hope to continue to do so until I see the Jesus face to face.


People change as they grow older; this is a fact. We grow up, we stop doing childish things, we accept responsibility and with that our thinking changes. I can only tell you that the single most significant thing I did to grow up was to begin reading the Bible. I began to genuinely believe in God and especially in Jesus. That belief led to commitment and eventually ministry. Surprisingly, when I was asked in Preaching School why I wanted to be a Preacher, I simply responded by saying I want to serve God, whatever form that may take. The fact is, I grew up poor, from a family whose reputation was less than stellar. Most people, when they heard I wanted to serve God, just laughed and laughed. No one laughs about this today. Time has dulled memories and the internet contains the results of my service.


When you read your Bible, take time to notice the character of the people that God uses- David, Moses and even the Apostle Paul had shortcomings. The only perfect one I have ever read about is Jesus.


Consider the new testament and the various congregations that Paul wrote to; which one was the worst. I think it was Corinth, for the book of 1st Corinthians details a congregation that was sorely in need of repentance. They did in fact repent and in Paul’s second letter, he writes…


2 Corinthians 3 ( World English Bible )

2 You are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men;

3 being revealed that you are a letter of Christ, served by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tablets of stone, but in tablets that are hearts of flesh.

4 Such confidence we have through Christ toward God;

5 not that we are sufficient of ourselves, to account anything as from ourselves; but our sufficiency is from God;

6 who also made us sufficient as servants of a new covenant; not of the letter, but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

7 But if the service of death, written engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the children of Israel could not look steadfastly on the face of Moses for the glory of his face; which was passing away:

8 won’t service of the Spirit be with much more glory?

9 For if the service of condemnation has glory, the service of righteousness exceeds much more in glory.

10 For most certainly that which has been made glorious has not been made glorious in this respect, by reason of the glory that surpasses.

11 For if that which passes away was with glory, much more that which remains is in glory.

12 Having therefore such a hope, we use great boldness of speech,

13 and not as Moses, who put a veil on his face, that the children of Israel wouldn’t look steadfastly on the end of that which was passing away.

14 But their minds were hardened, for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remains, because in Christ it passes away.

15 But to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart.

16 But whenever one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.

17 Now the Lord is the Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

18 But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord, the Spirit.



The Corinthians obviously thought about what Paul wrote to them, repented and stopped sinning. What changed? Their hearts softened towards God and their love for Jesus changed them. The word of God was their guide and with the aid of the Spirit of God they were transformed from sinners to “ Paul’s letter” written to all men.


I believe in the person I want to become” is fine as far as it goes, but I think I would change that slightly- I believe in the person I want to become with the help of God!


What about you? Are you satisfied with your life as it is today? I know a simply great teacher; his name is Jesus and he will help you, just as he has helped me. He can help you too. Open your New Testament and begin the journey. If you really listen to Jesus from the depths of your heart, your life will be transformed!


Believe that, because its true!