2/8/21

TRUTH BOMB by Gary Rose

 

I saw this graphic and was a bit unsure as to what a “truth bomb” meant, so I looked it up in the “Urban dictionary”. The site said that it originated from a TV show called 30 rock (which I have never seen) and defined it as...


"truth bomb

A fact spoken in clear, easy to understand terms and without bias.”

From: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=truth%20bomb


So, the term “truth bomb” is something that refers to a communication of “THE TRUTH”, based on facts which are given without bias. As far as the bomb part goes, I think it conveys a bit of surprise on the part of the hearer.


The Source of Truth

Today, in our 21st century truth has become a “relative” concept to many people. This is especially true in the media where facts and straightforward truth is “spinned” (frankly, I prefer the term.. twisted) to take on whatever meaning is consistent with their biases.


The truth is that TRUTH is absolute. Facts are facts and changing THE TRUTH into something else is a lie. Absolute truth comes from the creator. To know God is to come to grips with true reality and understanding of THE TRUTH. The apostle John said...


John 1 ( World English Bible )

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made through him. Without him was not anything made that has been made.

4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men.

5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness hasn’t overcome it.

6 There came a man, sent from God, whose name was John.

7 The same came as a witness, that he might testify about the light, that all might believe through him.

8 He was not the light, but was sent that he might testify about the light.

9 The true light that enlightens everyone was coming into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, and the world didn’t recognize him.

11 He came to his own, and those who were his own didn’t receive him.

12 But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God’s children, to those who believe in his name:

13 who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 The Word became flesh, and lived among us. We saw his glory, such glory as of the one and only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.

15 John testified about him. He cried out, saying, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me, for he was before me.’”

16 From his fullness we all received grace upon grace.

17 For the law was given through Moses. Grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.

18 No one has seen God at any time. The one and only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has declared him.


God has given us truth and it is found in the Bible and therein is refined by the explanations by Jesus and his apostles through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

 

The Freedom of Truth

Our lives are bound up in what we accept as facts. What we believe has consequences. If we accept only what humans teach as truth, then our future is limited by the limitations of the finite human mind. In other words, we are in bondage to our own intellectual abilities. To overcome this limitation, we need to turn to the Bible to understand the absolute truth of God. Jesus said….


John 8 ( WEB )

31 Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples.

32 You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”

33 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s seed, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How do you say, ‘You will be made free?’

34 Jesus answered them, “Most certainly I tell you, everyone who commits sin is the bondservant of sin.

35 A bondservant doesn’t live in the house forever. A son remains forever.

36 If therefore the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

37 I know that you are Abraham’s seed, yet you seek to kill me, because my word finds no place in you.

38 I say the things which I have seen with my Father; and you also do the things which you have seen with your father.”

39 They answered him, “Our father is Abraham.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham.

40 But now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God. Abraham didn’t do this.

41 You do the works of your father.” They said to him, “We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father, God.”

42 Therefore Jesus said to them, “If God were your father, you would love me, for I came out and have come from God. For I haven’t come of myself, but he sent me.

43 Why don’t you understand my speech? Because you can’t hear my word.

44 You are of your father, the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and doesn’t stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks on his own; for he is a liar, and its father.

45 But because I tell the truth, you don’t believe me.

46 Which of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me?

47 He who is of God hears the words of God. For this cause you don’t hear, because you are not of God.”

48 Then the Jews answered him, “Don’t we say well that you are a Samaritan, and have a demon?”

49 Jesus answered, “I don’t have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me.

50 But I don’t seek my own glory. There is one who seeks and judges.

51 Most certainly, I tell you, if a person keeps my word, he will never see death.”

52 Then the Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon. Abraham died, and the prophets; and you say, ‘If a man keeps my word, he will never taste of death.’

53 Are you greater than our father, Abraham, who died? The prophets died. Who do you make yourself out to be?”

54 Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say that he is our God.

55 You have not known him, but I know him. If I said, ‘I don’t know him,’ I would be like you, a liar. But I know him, and keep his word.

56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day. He saw it, and was glad.”

57 The Jews therefore said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?”

58 Jesus said to them, “Most certainly, I tell you, before Abraham came into existence, I AM.”

59 Therefore they took up stones to throw at him, but Jesus was hidden, and went out of the temple, having gone through their midst, and so passed by.


The Jews of the 1st century had the old covenant Scriptures, but Jesus showed them God-in-the-flesh. They simply would not listen, not accept him. In fact, they tried to kill him.


The Way to Truth

Sooner or later we all will ask questions that show our desire to know things that we do not innately understand. Little children ask questions like: Where did I come from or where will I go when I die or why is there evil in the world?


Want to know what life is truly about? Seek Jesus and L-E-A-R-N what genuine truth is. Jesus said…


John 14 ( WEB )

1 “Don’t let your heart be troubled. Believe in God. Believe also in me.

2 In my Father’s house are many homes. If it weren’t so, I would have told you. I am going to prepare a place for you.

3 If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and will receive you to myself; that where I am, you may be there also.

4 Where I go, you know, and you know the way.”

5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going. How can we know the way?”

6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me.


Jesus spoke the above words to his twelve disciples and they did in fact believe and learn the truth. In reality there is ONLY ONE way to God, ONE truth and ONE life. Unfortunately, not everyone will accept this “TRUTH BOMB”.


The Choice of Truth

John 18 ( WEB )

33 Pilate therefore entered again into the Praetorium, called Jesus, and said to him, “Are you the King of the Jews?”

34 Jesus answered him, “Do you say this by yourself, or did others tell you about me?”

35 Pilate answered, “I’m not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests delivered you to me. What have you done?”

36 Jesus answered, “My Kingdom is not of this world. If my Kingdom were of this world, then my servants would fight, that I wouldn’t be delivered to the Jews. But now my Kingdom is not from here.”

37 Pilate therefore said to him, “Are you a king then?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this reason I have been born, and for this reason I have come into the world, that I should testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.”

38 Pilate said to him, “What is truth?” When he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, “I find no basis for a charge against him.


This passage recounts Jesus’ interaction with Pilate. In the end of this discussion Pilate obviously views Jesus as nothing more than a Philosopher, because he asks the question “What is truth?”.


Pilate’s choice was one of disbelief, what is your choice?