5/31/21

Memorials, cookies and a sacrifice by Gary Rose

 

In the early 80’s, I actually sold monuments. I was never very good at it because I just couldn’t take advantage of people who were grieving over their loved ones and being put in the position of having to purchase a memorial stone or a monument anyway.


Monuments, gravestones, memorials and the like are important because as time goes by and memories fade, they ultimately may become the only thing that people will remember about the deceased.


Today is memorial day. A time when we remember the dear departed; especially those who died for our country. And, the more you care about someone, the more important a day of remembrance becomes.


As we think about these things, consider also this passage from the Bible…


1 Corinthians 11 ( World English Bible )

23 For I received from the Lord that which also I delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night in which he was betrayed took bread.

24 When he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “Take, eat. This is my body, which is broken for you. Do this in memory of me.”

25 In the same way he also took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink, in memory of me.”

26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks the Lord’s cup in a way unworthy of the Lord will be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord.

28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread, and drink of the cup.


Yesterday, in church we observed the Lord’s supper. We do this every first day of the week in order to remember the sacrifice of Jesus and the covenant he established by dying for us. For me, this has always been a bitter-sweet event, as it hurts to remember what Jesus went through, but a blessing as well because I know that a way has been provided for me to enter heaven. I am reminded that GOD is a caring and loving being, who actually found a solution to my sin problem. Jesus’ monument is not written in stone, but rather upon the hearts of human beings who love him.


As far as the monument in the picture- well, the cookies are probably tasty, but Oleo; I thought that was bad for you. No matter how good those cookies are, they won’t last forever. But Jesus’ sacrifice will!