6/25/21

Of musings, shapes and one eventful return by Gary Rose


 

I am not quite sure WHY I like this picture, yet there is something about it that just draws me right into it. Its contrasting features;the high mountains surrounded by the clouds as compared to the lighter and sometimes quite dark ( let me say deep ) blue sky. To me, this is quite a picture.


We all have seen sky before and all sorts of things can be imagined by simply viewing the clouds. I distinctly remember one autumn day when I was about 8 or so, just lying in a pile of leaves, viewing the sky and finding shapes of all kinds – dogs, cats, lizards and the occasional cloud that faintly resembled my favorite bite sized bit of candy. I was so absorbed in the view, that I lost all perception of time! And then it happened; I had to go, The Mickey Mouse Club was on and I ran for all I was worth to see my sweetheart- Annette Funicello.


That was then, times have changed (and so have I ). However, every so often I still enjoy some pleasant moments viewing the sky and composing shapes of the passing clouds.


For those of us who endeavor to follow Jesus, the sky is important, for reasons other than musings of shapes and such. As I looked at the picture I remembered something from the book of Acts, and here it is…



Acts 1 ( World English Bible )

1 The first book I wrote, Theophilus, concerned all that Jesus began both to do and to teach,

2 until the day in which he was received up, after he had given commandment through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen.

3 To these he also showed himself alive after he suffered, by many proofs, appearing to them over a period of forty days, and speaking about God’s Kingdom.

4 Being assembled together with them, he commanded them, “Don’t depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which you heard from me.

5 For John indeed baptized in water, but you will be baptized in the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

6 Therefore, when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, are you now restoring the kingdom to Israel?”

7 He said to them, “It isn’t for you to know times or seasons which the Father has set within his own authority.

8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you. You will be witnesses to me in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the uttermost parts of the earth.”

9 When he had said these things, as they were looking, he was taken up, and a cloud received him out of their sight.

10 While they were looking steadfastly into the sky as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white clothing,

11 who also said, “You men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who was received up from you into the sky will come back in the same way as you saw him going into the sky.”



Those two men in white clothing made the revelation to the Galileans who watch Jesus ascend to the Father that Jesus would come again in the same way that he left ( see verse 11 ). Earlier, Jesus is asked the question as to when the Father will restore the kingdom to Israel. Jesus, in a very straightforward manner tells them- it isn’t for you to know. As I think about it, this ( not knowing ) applies to Jesus’ return as well.



So, the next time fellow Christian, when you momentarily view the sky, look for more than just shapes – look for Jesus’ return and your deliverance from this evil world.

 

Maranatha, Lord Jesus!