8/4/21

Reach out by Gary Rose


and the history of it is here…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uZgcz_WlAA

The past two weeks have been tough; I have had quite a bit of difficulty in breathing. When you combine COPD and acute Asthma you have a potentially disastrous recipe for health. Monday, my physician sent me to the Emergency room, where I spent most of my day. Bottom line, with breathing treatments and various medicines I believe I will get better ( soon, I hope ).


In a way, I am very glad this all happened. Because it forced me to relax and listen to some music. Then late Monday night, I accidentally came across the above video – “A bridge over troubled waters” by Simon and Garfunkle. As I listened, the beauty of it warmed my heart and and heightened my senses. I encountered a great blessing. It was as if God was somehow comforting and reassuring me. Then, I remembered the following passage from Revelation 15…


Revelation 15 ( World English Bible )

1 I saw another great and marvelous sign in the sky: seven angels having the seven last plagues, for in them God’s wrath is finished.

2 I saw something like a sea of glass mixed with fire, and those who overcame the beast, his image, and the number of his name, standing on the sea of glass, having harps of God.

3 They sang the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, “Great and marvelous are your works, Lord God, the Almighty! Righteous and true are your ways, you King of the nations. ( Note: see also Exodus 15:1-3 )


Think of this- two songs, that of Moses ( Exodus 15 ) and that of the Lamb ( Revelation 15 above ). Songs of praise and deliverance, a blessing becoming reality. How absolutely wonderful! I wish I knew of them in their entirety, but for now I will just have to be content with the knowledge that they exist. Imagine, a song of Works ( Moses ) and a song of Grace ( Jesus ) intertwined in majestic harmony. It is as if the wonder found only in the human heart combined with the magnificence of the glory of God were merged. Man and God in combined glory; how breathtaking, how almost beyond description.


And as I considered these things, I remembered a passage from the book of Matthew, which just seemed to “fit” into this train of thought. Matthew says...

Matthew 14 ( World English Bible )

23 After he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into the mountain by himself to pray. When evening had come, he was there alone.

24 But the boat was now in the middle of the sea, distressed by the waves, for the wind was contrary.

25 In the fourth watch of the night, Jesus came to them, walking on the sea.

26 When the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, “It’s a ghost!” and they cried out for fear.

27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying “Cheer up! It is I! Don’t be afraid.”

28 Peter answered him and said, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the waters.”

29 He said, “Come!” Peter stepped down from the boat, and walked on the waters to come to Jesus.

30 But when he saw that the wind was strong, he was afraid, and beginning to sink, he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!”

31 Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand, took hold of him, and said to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?”

32 When they got up into the boat, the wind ceased.

33 Those who were in the boat came and worshiped him, saying, “You are truly the Son of God!”


In all these things, there is commonality. God loves us so much that he helps us when we really, really need it. It is as if HE becomes our bridge over troubled waters, giving us a solid foundation to rely upon. But, the linchpin here is that we must reach out to him and accept his help. I wonder, will I reach out more now that I have health problems. I certainly hope so. As far a God reaching out to help, well read the above passage from Matthew and consider your own life: Has God helped you when you have asked for it? I know that God has repeatedly, consistently helped me ever since my earliest memories. Accept God for what HE is, a loving, kind, yet awesome creator and king.


PS. In response to my announcement that I wouldn’t be posting on the blog for awhile, I was totally amazed at how many e-mails and phone calls I received. Like I said before, there can be a great blessing in sickness. And the words of my maternal grandmother once again come to mind: Sickness can in fact be a call to quietness, so that we may be receptive to the almighty and finally be willing to truly love and obey HIM!