4/25/22

The Power of Positive Spiritual Thinking by Ken Weliever, The Preacherman

 

https://thepreachersword.com/2014/05/01/the-power-of-positive-spiritual-thinking/#more-5573

The Power of Positive Spiritual Thinking

Mind.BibleMany years ago Norma Jean gave me a little gift book entitled, “As A Man Thinketh,” by James  Allen.

It speaks to the power of thought.  The importance of putting into our minds good, wholesome and positive thoughts. And how our thoughts form our character.  Allen says, “thought and character are one.”

He compares a person’s mind to a garden.  It can be cultivated or neglected.  Planted with seeds that will produce something good.  Or allowed to be overrun with weeds.  Whatever is put into the ground, or the mind, will reap after its own kind.

In the first chapter Allen advances  this premise.

“Man is made or unmade by himself; in the armory of thought he forges the weapons by which he destroys himself. He also fashions the tools with which he builds for himself heavenly mansions of joy and strength and peace. By the right choice and true application of thought, man ascends to the Divine Perfection; by the abuse and wrong application of thought, he descends below the level of the beast. Between these two extremes are all the grades of character, and man is their maker and master.”

“Of all the beautiful truths pertaining to the soul which have been restored and brought to light in this age, none is more gladdening or fruitful of divine promise and confidence than this – that man is the master of thought, the molder of character, and maker and shaper of condition, environment, and destiny.”

The book reminds me of Solomon’s affirmation in Proverbs 23:7, “As he thinks in is heart so is he.”

Since God made man, He knows what is best for us. He knows how we can “program” our minds to be the most effective, and enjoy a high degree of abundant living. So, we are commanded to think on things that are pure, holy, just, true, lovely, honorable, of good report, virtuous and praiseworthy. (Phil. 4:8).

Too often we undermine God’s purpose for our lives and sabotage our own success by thinking the wrong kind of thoughts.  Dwelling on the negative.  And engaging in self-talk that is destructive.

When you are feeling depressed, discouraged and despondent and thinking the wrong kind of thoughts, open your Bible and listen to what God says to you.

“The hopeless laments, “It’s impossible.” God says, “All things are possible”. (Lk 18:27)

The weary sighs “I’m too tired.” God says, ”I will give you rest.” (Matt. 11:28-30)

The broken-hearted bemoans, “Nobody really loves me.” God says, “I love you.” (Jn 3:16 )

The discouraged bewails, “I can’t go on. “God says, “My grace is sufficient for you.” (II Corinthians 12:9)

The perplexed says, “I can’t figure things out.” God says, “I will direct your steps.” (Pro 3:5-6)

The overwhelmed utters ,”I can’t do it.” God says, “You can do all things” (Phil. 4:13)

The defeated feels, “I’m not able.” God says, “I am able.” (II Cor. 9:8)

The quitter claims, “It’s not worth it.” God says, “Heaven will be worth it”. (Rom. 8:28 )

The guilt ridden regrets, “I can’t forgive myself.” God says, “I forgive you.” (Rom. 8:1)

The impoverished opines, “I can’t manage.” God says, “I will supply all your needs.” (Phil, 4:19)

The cowardly admits, “I’m afraid.” God says, “I have not given you a spirit of fear. (II Tim 1:7)

The anxious complains, “I’m worried.” God says, “Cast all your cares on ME.”(I Pet.5:7)

The sinner says, “I’m lost!” And God says, “I sent Jesus to die for you and save you.” (Rom 5:8).

When you are tempted to think negative thoughts, feel discouraging emotions, and hear the voice of the Tempter, hear the voice of God.  He will lift you up!  And provide help.  Hope.  And healing.

–Ken Weliever, The Preacherman