10/17/22

Autumn by Gary Rose

 


Looking for a picture today, I came across this beautiful autumn scene and I liked it so much that I put a frame around it. Even though the colors are simply beautiful, I chose this for a less-than-obvious reason- the pavement. Let me explain that… In upstate New York, I went to a school in Schaghticoke, which is also the home of the fair which is held during the last week of August ( and sometimes a few days into September ). I remember riding the school bus past the fairgrounds on the first day of returning to school and noticing that it had rained the previous night; so it was as if all the leaves had fallen near the fairgrounds and summer was OVER! This just didn’t happen just once, it was almost a common occurrence ( at least it seemed that way to me ).


Having said all this- the colors of the picture are very impressive and the sad reality of life is that those hues don’t remain that way for long; they fade all too quickly!


Reflecting on these things, I immediately thought of Ecclesiastes chapter 3 and a bit later, another passage from the book of James.


The Bible says ...


Ecclesiastes 3 ( World English Bible )

1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven:

2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3 a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5 a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6 a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7 a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8 a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.

9 What profit has he who works in that in which he labors?

10 I have seen the burden which God has given to the sons of men to be afflicted with.

11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in their hearts, yet so that man can’t find out the work that God has done from the beginning even to the end.


And


James 4 ( WEB )

14 Whereas you don’t know what your life will be like tomorrow. For what is your life? For you are a vapor, that appears for a little time, and then vanishes away.

See Also - Isa 40:6; 1Cor 7:31; Jas 1:10; 1Pet 1:24; 1John 2:17


How short life is! It seems like only yesterday that I was on that school bus, but in fact more than 50 autumns have passed. How short; the vapor reference in the book of James is so accurate a description that it is shocking.


For me, I pause to reflect on the question: What have I really done with my life? My answer: I have tried to seek and follow the wishes of God Almighty. My reality: I could have done a lot better, but I did try! Any ( and every ) shortcoming is up to God to forgive ( and for me to ask for forgiveness [first] ). But, isn’t that what G-R-A-C-E is all about?


As far as the reader of this post goes… I imagine that many of you will answer quite differently because we all lead different lives. BUT, one thing is sure, our lives will end… someday. Are you ready for what follows this existence? I sincerely hope so!


Today: Reserve for yourself a little time to reflect on that question ( What have I really done with my life? ) and if you genuinely are NOT SATISFIED with your answer, then seek God for direction - HE WILL HELP YOU. I know, for HE has helped me ( over and over again ).


May God bless you!

Gary