9/18/09

Big boy's TOY

I know this is a motorcycle, but to me it looks like a big-wheel kids toy. And that toy is forever etched in my memories. Why? A former next-door neighbor's son used to ride it up and down the street next to my house and keep me awake during the day. So, when I see this I remember all those sleepless days (I was working midnight shift then) his innocent play caused. But, I know this IS A MOTORCYCLE, but it still is A BIG BOYS TOY; the hearts desire of some "grown-up" who still loves to "play". This reminds me of the ancient king Solomon who had his "toys" too.


Eccl 1:12-2:10
12 I, the Preacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem.13 I applied my heart to seek and to search out by wisdom concerning all that is done under the sky. It is a heavy burden that God has given to the sons of men to be afflicted with.14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and behold, all is vanity and a chasing after wind.15 That which is crooked can't be made straight; and that which is lacking can't be counted.16 I said to myself, "Behold, I have obtained for myself great wisdom above all who were before me in Jerusalem. Yes, my heart has had great experience of wisdom and knowledge."17 I applied my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also was a chasing after wind.18 For in much wisdom is much grief; and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.2 I said in my heart, "Come now, I will test you with mirth: therefore enjoy pleasure;" and behold, this also was vanity.2 I said of laughter, "It is foolishness;" and of mirth, "What does it accomplish?"3 I searched in my heart how to cheer my flesh with wine, my heart yet guiding me with wisdom, and how to lay hold of folly, until I might see what it was good for the sons of men that they should do under heaven all the days of their lives.4 I made myself great works. I built myself houses. I planted myself vineyards.5 I made myself gardens and parks, and I planted trees in them of all kinds of fruit.6 I made myself pools of water, to water from it the forest where trees were reared.7 I bought male servants and female servants, and had servants born in my house. I also had great possessions of herds and flocks, above all who were before me in Jerusalem;8 I also gathered silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and of the provinces. I got myself male and female singers, and the delights of the sons of men—musical instruments, and that of all sorts.9 So I was great, and increased more than all who were before me in Jerusalem. My wisdom also remained with me.10 Whatever my eyes desired, I didn't keep from them. I didn't withhold my heart from any joy, for my heart rejoiced because of all my labor, and this was my portion from all my labor. WEB

If you could have your heart's desire, what would it be? Maybe a grown-up "big wheel" motorcycle or something else you have set your heart on? What if, what if, you could have anything your heart desired? Ultimately, would that make you happy? The answer is found later in the book of Ecclesiastes and that answer is a resounding "NO". Later on in the book Solomon says:


Eccl 12:13-14
13 This is the end of the matter. All has been heard. Fear God, and keep his commandments; for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God will bring every work into judgment, with every hidden thing, whether it is good, or whether it is evil. WEB


Having "things" is fine, but in the end God shows that more than anything you could ever want, you REALLY NEED GOD. Bottom line, end of story. Besides, could you imagine even riding this "big wheel" motorcycle, I don't think I could even see over the handlebars????