5/8/12

What is really important on my birthday?



This year (on the 10th) I turn 63 years young.  More than in past years, I have been thinking a lot about it and have already bought something I wanted.  Birthday presents are wonderful; especially when they are a complete surprise.  So... who knows what will happen.  I thought of all this when I saw this OREO cake in my blog pictures and frankly my mouth watered a little when I saw this one!!!!  I do have mixed emotions about my birthday, though, as it was also my maternal grandmother Gladys's birthday as well. We were born 51 years apart about the same time of day, so its hard NOT to think of her.  I also reflect a bit on my life at this time; as to whether it has been good or bad and what I have and have not accomplished.  Foremost though, I think of the wife and children The God of Heaven has given me and their families as well.  It is not surprising therefore, for my mind to recall the Patriarch Job and how HE celebrated HIS birthday...

Job Chapter 1
  
1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job. That man was blameless and upright, and one who feared God, and turned away from evil.  2 There were born to him seven sons and three daughters.  3 His possessions also were seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen, five hundred female donkeys, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the children of the east. 4 His sons went and held a feast in the house of each one on his birthday; and they sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.  5 It was so, when the days of their feasting had run their course, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, “It may be that my sons have sinned, and renounced God in their hearts.” Job did so continually.

 Job was very wealthy; he had many possession and a large family.  That he cared for his children is obvious but more importantly, he cared for their spiritual well-being.  Today, pardon me, but I am going to be a bit selfish and hope that I get a cake like the one in the picture, but if I don't, no problem.  What I really want, more than anything else, is for those who are my "family" to love God with all of their heart and follow his wishes in every way!!!  Oh, how full my life would be if this were a reality!!!! On second thought, who needs a cake; I can only imagine how many weight watcher points are in that little baby in the picture!!!!!