1/12/18

My Name is... by Gary Rose


Cold, snow and dark skies; depressing!  As I look at the picture, I wonder where that lone wolf has been. Is he part of a pack, or just a loner? Even though he is just a wolf, I am sure that he has some sort of thoughts and so I wonder, does this winter scene depress him?  If so, why? If I could really get to know him-  what name would I give to him?

Elijah, that's the name I would pick- ELIJAH!!!

Why?

Read on and see...


1 Kings Chapter 19 (WEB)
  1 Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, and how he had killed all the prophets with the sword. 2 Then Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah, saying, “So let the gods do to me, and more also, if I don’t make your life as the life of one of them by tomorrow about this time!” 


  3 When he saw that, he arose, and ran for his life, and came to Beersheba, which belongs to Judah, and left his servant there.  4 But he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree. Then he requested for himself that he might die, and said, “It is enough. Now, O Yahweh, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers.”      (emphasis added vs.4 c)


  5 He lay down and slept under a juniper tree; and behold, an angel touched him, and said to him, “Arise and eat!” 


  6 He looked, and behold, there was at his head a cake baked on the coals, and a jar of water. He ate and drank, and lay down again.  7 Yahweh’s angel came again the second time, and touched him, and said, “Arise and eat, because the journey is too great for you.” 


  8 He arose, and ate and drank, and went in the strength of that food forty days and forty nights to Horeb, God’s Mountain.  9 He came to a cave there, and camped there; and behold, Yahweh’s word came to him, and he said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah? (emphasis added vs.9c)


  10 He said, “I have been very jealous for Yahweh, the God of Armies; for the children of Israel have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and killed your prophets with the sword. I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.”     (emphasis added vs. 10)


  11 He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before Yahweh.” 


Behold, Yahweh passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains, and broke in pieces the rocks before Yahweh; but Yahweh was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake; but Yahweh was not in the earthquake.  12 After the earthquake a fire passed; but Yahweh was not in the fire. After the fire, there was a still small voice.  13 When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle, went out, and stood in the entrance of the cave. Behold, a voice came to him, and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”       
(emphasis added vs. 13c)

  14 He said, “I have been very jealous for Yahweh, the God of Armies; for the children of Israel have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and killed your prophets with the sword. I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.”  (emphasis added, vs. 14)


  15 Yahweh said to him, “Go, return on your way to the wilderness of Damascus. When you arrive, anoint Hazael to be king over Syria.  16 Anoint Jehu the son of Nimshi to be king over Israel; and anoint Elisha the son of Shaphat of Abel Meholah to be prophet in your place.  17 He who escapes from the sword of Hazael, Jehu will kill; and he who escapes from the sword of Jehu, Elisha will kill.  18 Yet I reserved seven thousand in Israel, all the knees of which have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth which has not kissed him.” 

2 Kings Chapter 2 (WEB)
 1 When Yahweh was about to take Elijah up by a whirlwind into heaven, Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal.  2 Elijah said to Elisha, “Please wait here, for Yahweh has sent me as far as Bethel.” 


Elisha said, “As Yahweh lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you.” So they went down to Bethel. 
  3 The sons of the prophets who were at Bethel came out to Elisha, and said to him, “Do you know that Yahweh will take away your master from your head today?” 



He said, “Yes, I know it. Hold your peace.” 
  4 Elijah said to him, “Elisha, please wait here, for Yahweh has sent me to Jericho.” 



He said, “As Yahweh lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you.” So they came to Jericho. 
  5 The sons of the prophets who were at Jericho came near to Elisha, and said to him, “Do you know that Yahweh will take away your master from your head today?” 



He answered, “Yes, I know it. Hold your peace.” 
  6 Elijah said to him, “Please wait here, for Yahweh has sent me to the Jordan.” 



He said, “As Yahweh lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you.” Then they both went on.  7 Fifty men of the sons of the prophets went, and stood opposite them at a distance; and they both stood by the Jordan.  8 Elijah took his mantle, and rolled it up, and struck the waters, and they were divided here and there, so that they both went over on dry ground.  9 When they had gone over, Elijah said to Elisha, “Ask what I shall do for you, before I am taken from you.” 


Elisha said, “Please let a double portion of your spirit be on me.” 
  10 He said, “You have asked a hard thing. If you see me when I am taken from you, it will be so for you; but if not, it will not be so.” 



  11 As they continued on and talked, behold, a chariot of fire and horses of fire separated them, and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.    (emphasis added, vs. 11)


Elijah was a man who did great things with God, (see 1 Kings 18 to see what I mean) yet he had his weakness: depression. In the very next chapter, he is so depressed that he longs for death (vs. 4).  God asks him- "What are you doing here, Elijah?" The prophet recites his efforts to serve God and then The Almighty sends him to mount Horeb. Once there God caused a mighty wind to break rocks, an earthquake and fire to happen in the presence of Elijah. However, God was not in these things; instead he spoke to Elijah in a still small voice, asking him that same question. Elijah answers as before. As a result of this answer, God sends him on a different mission and eventually takes him up to heaven in a chariot of fire (2 Kings, chapter 2).


Why? It seems to me that the prophet could only perceive God working in the big things like miracles. He needed to learn that God can direct in a gentle way as well- such as that small voice. God then gave him other work to do and ultimately blessed him by ushering Elijah to himself in a most glorious manner.

For me, these things means that God understands exactly who I am, what I am capable of and will lead me into the service of his will and not mine. I am never alone, no matter what the circumstances are- GOD IS THERE, IF I WILL BUT REALLY SEEK HIM. If these things are true for me, then they probably apply to many of those who read this blog as well. Do as God leads, for with God- ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!