2/12/18

Promises, promises by Gary Rose

Ok, this isn't really about dogs its about Donald Trump and his promise to build a security wall on our southern border and have Mexico pay for it. President Trump has been attempting to build that wall for over a year now, without success. Why is that I wonder? Politics is the answer- without any doubt!

Making promises is easy; keeping them is another matter. Remember Jephthah from the book of Judges???


Judges, Chapter 11 (WEB)
 1 Now Jephthah the Gileadite was a mighty man of valor, and he was the son of a prostitute: and Gilead became the father of Jephthah.  2 Gilead’s wife bore him sons; and when his wife’s sons grew up, they drove out Jephthah, and said to him, “You shall not inherit in our father’s house; for you are the son of another woman.”  3 Then Jephthah fled from his brothers, and lived in the land of Tob: and there were gathered vain fellows to Jephthah, and they went out with him.  4 After a while, the children of Ammon made war against Israel.  5 It was so, that when the children of Ammon made war against Israel, the elders of Gilead went to get Jephthah out of the land of Tob;  6 and they said to Jephthah, “Come and be our chief, that we may fight with the children of Ammon.” 

  7  Jephthah said to the elders of Gilead, “Didn’t you hate me, and drive me out of my father’s house? Why have you come to me now when you are in distress?” 

  8  The elders of Gilead said to Jephthah, “Therefore we have turned again to you now, that you may go with us, and fight with the children of Ammon; and you shall be our head over all the inhabitants of Gilead.” 

  9  Jephthah said to the elders of Gilead, “If you bring me home again to fight with the children of Ammon, and Yahweh deliver them before me, shall I be your head?” 

  10  The elders of Gilead said to Jephthah, “Yahweh shall be witness between us; surely according to your word so will we do.” 


 30  Jephthah vowed a vow to Yahweh, and said, “If you will indeed deliver the children of Ammon into my hand,  31 then it shall be, that whatever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, it shall be Yahweh’s, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.” (emphasis added vss. 30f.)

  32  So Jephthah passed over to the children of Ammon to fight against them; and Yahweh delivered them into his hand.  33 He struck them from Aroer until you come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and to Abelcheramim, with a very great slaughter. So the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel. 

  34  Jephthah came to Mizpah to his house; and behold, his daughter came out to meet him with tambourines and with dances: and she was his only child; besides her he had neither son nor daughter.   (emphasis added vs. 34) 35 When he saw her, he tore his clothes, and said, “Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low, and you are one of those who trouble me; for I have opened my mouth to Yahweh, and I can’t go back.” 

  36  She said to him, “My father, you have opened your mouth to Yahweh; do to me according to that which has proceeded out of your mouth, because Yahweh has taken vengeance for you on your enemies, even on the children of Ammon.”  37 She said to her father, “Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may depart and go down on the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my companions.” 

  38  He said, “Go.” He sent her away for two months: and she departed, she and her companions, and mourned her virginity on the mountains. 39 At the end of two months, she returned to her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed. She was a virgin. It was a custom in Israel,  40 that the daughters of Israel went yearly to celebrate the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year.   

Jephthah's vow cost him the life of his only daughter. I wonder what our president Trump will have to do to keep his promise about that wall?

The lesson in all this is:

BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU PROMISE TO DO; IT MAY COST YOU MORE THAN YOU CAN EVER IMAGINE!