5/20/19

Irony by Gary Rose


Using one word, describe this picture?

For me, that word is Irony.
Consider...

The Wordnet dictionary says...

1. (5) sarcasm, irony, satire, caustic remark -- (witty language used to convey insults or scorn; "he used sarcasm to upset his opponent"; "irony is wasted on the stupid"; "Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own"--Jonathan Swift)
2. (3) irony -- (incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs; "the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated")
3. irony -- (a trope that involves incongruity between what is expected and what occurs)

You would expect that a fire hydrant would be used to put out a fire, not be put on fire, so the meaning that is highlighted in blue is my choice. This picture also reminds me of my chemistry teacher in high school. Why? Well, after I started my class in chemistry, it wasn’t long before my teacher (whose name was Mr. Osterhout) called me aside and told me I was not going to pass this course and that I should drop it before I received a failing grade. I did. But that was not the end of the story, only the beginning. A few years later, I started working in a chemical laboratory and over the next few decades, actually worked in bench chemistry for seven different companies; receiving multiple promotions and achievement awards. Irony; a word that I know only too well.
Jesus used irony in his teaching – here is but one example…


Mark 8 ( World English Bible )
Mar 8:34, He called the multitude to himself with his disciples, and said to them, “Whoever wants to come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Mar 8:35, For whoever wants to save his life will lose it; and whoever will lose his life for my sake and the sake of the Good News will save it.
Mar 8:36, For what does it profit a man, to gain the whole world, and forfeit his life?
Mar 8:37, For what will a man give in exchange for his life?
Mar 8:38, For whoever will be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man also will be ashamed of him, when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”


Every single day we make choices, small ones, large ones, those that are important and those that are not. But, Jesus present us with an ironic choice; choose him and follow the spiritual way he dictates or deny him for the things that seem important in everyday life. If you chose Jesus, ultimately it could cost you your earthly life, but you gain eternity in heaven. Chose the things that the world favors, deny Jesus and at the eternal judgment face hell. I chose Jesus, how about you?


Humm, that burning fire hydrant takes on a whole new meaning, doesn’t it?