5/13/19

Surprise by Gary Rose


This past Friday was my birthday, but due to scheduling problems, the family didn’t have a party until Saturday. It wasn’t anything formal, no party favors or fancy appetizers, just family getting together. Just good food, catching up and some laughs.

Now, my youngest daughter and her husband, both have a sense of humor and I usually can expect a rather unusual card – this year was no exception. I opened the envelope and saw just a group of people just standing there and when I unfolded the card, all of them mooned me. Ha Ha, but the joke had only begun, for when I opened my present; there it was – Surprise, the biggest roll of toilet paper (with a large metal stand) that I had ever seen. They had special ordered this two foot roll from Charmin. All this because sometimes I forget to put a new roll of paper on the holder when I leave the bathroom. Now you know - Surprise - I am not perfect.

Anyway, I was perusing my stock of pictures and thought- Surprise, so I guess you will probably see the connection. And I thought: What is the biggest surprise in the Scriptures? Here is my answer to that question…


Acts 9 ( World English Bible )
Act 9:1, But Saul, still breathing threats and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest,
Act 9:2, and asked for letters from him to the synagogues of Damascus, that if he found any who were of the Way, whether men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.
Act 9:3, As he traveled, it happened that he got close to Damascus, and suddenly a light from the sky shone around him.
Act 9:4, He fell on the earth, and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”
Act 9:5, He said, “Who are you, Lord?” The Lord said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.*
Act 9:6, But* rise up, and enter into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”
Act 9:7, The men who traveled with him stood speechless, hearing the sound, but seeing no one.
Act 9:8, Saul arose from the ground, and when his eyes were opened, he saw no one. They led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.


Paul had persecuted the church and Jesus did something about it; he turned his greatest enemy into possibly one of the greatest advocates for Christianity that there ever was: Surprise!

Small thought here:

Imagine what God could do with you, if you really committed yourself to him without reservation!

The answer might Surprise even you!