6/17/19

God's word in us... by Gary Rose


Sounds of Silence” on a Harp guitar


Billy Jean” on Acoustic guitar













Carlos Santana and Rob Thomas - Smooth










For my three daughters…

Sunday was truly a great father’s day. I received three messages from my daughters: One was a text, another a voice mail and the third a personal greeting. All had the same sentiment – Happy Father’s day!

Well, Sunday was Father’s day, but what happened on Saturday spilled over into The Lord’s day and helped make it a truly memorable one. I was on Facebook Saturday afternoon and I listened to the music listed above. First there was that Harp guitar, with its piercing rendition of “Sounds of Silence”- that started it off. Next, was the acoustic guitar, with the artist using the body of the guitar as a percussion instrument for Michael Jackson’s “Billy Jean”. And last (but certainly NOT least) was the song “Smooth”. This stage performance was so powerful that I just couldn’t get it out of my head. But, all three seemed to impact me in a way that I couldn’t explain, so I played them over and over. The emotions that they stirred seemed to form an increasing pattern of complexity and had a message all their own. So much for Saturday.

Sunday, I took the long way to church and as usual, prayed as I went. Suddenly, I realized how much God had really done for me over the years and how much HE really, loved me. I hadn’t felt something this strong in years and frankly, its intensity surprised me.

Later that evening, during the adult Bible study we discussed John 8:12, which says…

Joh 8:12 ( World English Bible )
Again, therefore, Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world.* He who follows me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life.”

And as I thought about Jesus as the “light of the world”, I considered how God communicates with us through his word; how it affects our minds or spirit and ultimately our lives in the physical world. Something like a prism, with the white light we see actually being composed of various wavelengths. Question: could not the Word of God affect us in a subconscious manner and literally change our thinking and how we feel?










This may sound a little strange at first, but remember that we are made in the image of God: body, soul and spirit ...

1 Thessalonians 5 ( WEB )
1Th 5:23, May the God of peace himself sanctify you completely. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Remember, the Bible is not just an ordinary book, it is a spiritual communication from the Almighty and therefore has meaning that goes deeper than anything mere man can create.

One last verse…
Hebrews 4 ( WEB )
Heb 4:12, For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

I know this is a lot to think about, but it is worthwhile.

Sunday was quite a day, God was very near and I was loved by those I care about most. Now, that’s a Father’s day!