11/11/19

From hindsight to trust by Gary Rose




Now, this is a way to consider hindsight that never, ever occurred to me. In this case hindsight has nothing to do with the past, just recognition. Dogs are such unique creatures. A little sniff here and there, then using their nose, they do a close up sniff to see what the other dog (s) are all about. Then, they just move on.

As human beings, we have to rely more on what we already know about our culture, our surroundings and what we think will happen. Sadly, more often than not, we do the wrong things at the wrong time and in hindsight, we often regret our actions. But, what if there was another way to live; one that was not just self-motivated. Could it be that we humans really do need directions?
The Bible says…


Not in Man
Jeremiah 10 ( World English Bible )
[23] Yahweh, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man who walks to direct his steps. [24] Yahweh, correct me, but in measure: not in your anger, lest you bring me to nothing.

Look around us, our society is full of the woes of sins: broken families, a record number of incarcerations, drugs abuse, political corruption and human being being killed (aborted) before birth. With all this, it seems obvious that we as a nation are doing something wrong. In short, not following God’s directions on how to live. Consider a man after God’s own heart – David.


The Example of David
Psalm 23 ( WEB )
[1] A Psalm by David. Yahweh is my shepherd: I shall lack nothing. [2] He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. [3] He restores my soul. He guides me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
[4] Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. [5] You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil. My cup runs over. [6] Surely goodness and loving kindness shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in Yahweh’s house forever.


David was not a perfect man, he sinned. However, as even a cursory read of the 23rd Psalm will show, he lived life seeking God and seeing God at work in him. He was in fact a man after God’s own heart, in that he continually tried to please God and repented when he did not. So, what about us? Can we change our self-motivated lifestyles to God directed ones. I think we can and should. We can begin by learning to trust God and taking him at his word. It is written in the book of proverbs...

Trust is necessary
Proverbs 3 ( WEB )
[5] Trust in Yahweh with all your heart, and don’t lean on your own understanding. [6] In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. [7] Don’t be wise in your own eyes. Fear Yahweh, and depart from evil.

Yes, trust is necessary, but it is a learned attribute. How do we arrive at a point in our lives where can trust God? One answer is we read God’s word, reflect on it and put it into practice. Try God and see if He doesn’t change your life.

I have a challenge for you: Read one chapter of the book of Proverbs a day for the next month and put it into practice. In 31 days your life will change and once you see that change – you WILL WANT MORE. I promise.