12/13/19

Change by Gary Rose




Change, now there is one dangerous word. While change can either be good or bad, in the context of the picture above the people probably consider it bad. Why? Just look at the people in the bottom half of the picture; the people are cowering. They know they have done something wrong, or perhaps they have not done something they should have. To me, it is clear that they really don’t want to change and are ashamed of it. This picture makes me think of the following two passages from the Bible:


Matthew 21 ( World English Bible )
[28] But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first, and said, ‘Son, go work today in my vineyard.’ [29] He answered, ‘I will not,’ but afterward he changed his mind, and went. [30] He came to the second, and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I go, sir,’ but he didn’t go. [31] Which of the two did the will of his father?” They said to him, “The first.” Jesus said to them, “Most certainly I tell you that the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering into the Kingdom of God before you. [32] For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you didn’t believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes believed him. When you saw it, you didn’t even repent afterward, that you might believe him.
AND
Revelation 3 ( WEB )
[14] “To the angel of the assembly in Laodicea write: “The Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Head of God’s creation, says these things:
[15] “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were cold or hot. [16] So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will vomit you out of my mouth. [17] Because you say, ‘I am rich, and have gotten riches, and have need of nothing;’ and don’t know that you are the wretched one, miserable, poor, blind, and naked; [18] I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, that you may become rich; and white garments, that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes, that you may see. [19] As many as I love, I reprove and chasten. Be zealous therefore, and repent. [20] Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, then I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with me. [21] He who overcomes, I will give to him to sit down with me on my throne, as I also overcame, and sat down with my Father on his throne. [22] He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the assemblies.”


Remember when you first became a Christian? Were you excited? I was! I felt I could do anything for the God who really loved me and sent Jesus to solve my sin problem. I changed from desiring sin to hating it. I have noticed the same reaction in others as well. Yet, over time many of those same people began to revert to their old ways. They fell into one of the two basic categories that the above passages describe; rebellion or complacency. I encourage you to give some thought to your commitment to God and then ask yourself the following question:

Do I really need to change?