2/21/20

"Yeah, right." by Gary Rose


An MIT linguistics professor was lecturing the class the other day. "In English," he said, "a double negative forms a positive. However, in some languages, such as Russian, a double negative remains a negative. But there isn't a single language, not one, in which a double positive can express a negative."


A voice from the back of the room piped up,
"Yeah, right."



Even the smartest person can be wrong. Truthfully, no one LIKES to be wrong, but – IT HAPPENS. The problem is; the smarter you are the more self confident you are about the things you KNOW. Over time, it is far too easy to think you know everything about everything. And, of course, you are WRONG.

I wonder, could a person believe something so much that they would even dare to argue with Jesus? The answer is yes, for this actually happened…


Matthew 26 ( World English Bible )
  [31]  Then Jesus said to them, All of you will be made to stumble because of me tonight, for it is written, ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’  [32]  But after I am raised up, I will go before you into Galilee.” 

  [33]  But Peter answered him, “Even if all will be made to stumble because of you, I will never be made to stumble.” 

  [34]  Jesus said to him, Most certainly I tell you that tonight, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.” 

  [35]  Peter said to him, “Even if I must die with you, I will not deny you.” All of the disciples also said likewise…..


 [69]  Now Peter was sitting outside in the court, and a maid came to him, saying, “You were also with Jesus, the Galilean!”

  
[70]  But he denied it before them all, saying, “I don’t know what you are talking about.” 

  
[71]  When he had gone out onto the porch, someone else saw him, and said to those who were there, “This man also was with Jesus of Nazareth.”

  
[72]  Again he denied it with an oath, “I don’t know the man.” 

  
[73]  After a little while those who stood by came and said to Peter, “Surely you are also one of them, for your speech makes you known.”

  
[74]  Then he began to curse and to swear, “I don’t know the man!”

Immediately the rooster crowed.  [75] Peter remembered the word which Jesus had said to him, “Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.” He went out and wept bitterly.  


Now, it would be nice if this were an isolated case, but it is not. Whether or not they realize it, many people do argue with Jesus? Jesus said…


Matthew 28 ( WEB )
 [18] Jesus came to them and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth.   [19]  Go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,   [20]  teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. 

How do we make disciples? And a disciple is… A follower, otherwise called a Christian. So, Jesus is saying we become Christians ( vs. 19) by being baptized. But many people out there say this is not so and actually argue that baptism is an afterthought.

I have only two words to say to them:
 
Yeah, right!