How would you like to be in this position? Can you imagine the amount of teasing this man must receive? Yet, if it really, really bothered him he could always change his name. Some names are better off not changed and here is a prime example.
Matthew 1:18-25 (WEB)
18) Now the birth of Jesus Christ was like this; for after his mother, Mary, was engaged to Joseph, before they came together, she was found pregnant by the Holy Spirit.
19) Joseph, her husband, being a righteous man, and not willing to make her a public example, intended to put her away secretly.
20) But when he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, don’t be afraid to take to yourself Mary, your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
21) She shall bring forth a son. You shall call his name Jesus, for it is he who shall save his people from their sins.”
22) Now all this has happened, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying,
23) “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son. They shall call his name Immanuel;” which is, being interpreted, “God with us.”
24) Joseph arose from his sleep, and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took his wife to himself;
25) and didn’t know her sexually until she had brought forth her firstborn son. He named him Jesus.
How different the would would be if Joseph and Mary had NOT LISTENED TO THE ANGEL!!! But, they did and Jesus fulfilled his ministry. And am I glad they did, because without a solution for sin, where would I be???