Looks like someone just ripped a hole in the sky to let the light shine in, doesn't it? Of course we "know" this isn't true and like so many things we take for granted we understand, but, that is what it looks like to me. Truth seems to be a hard thing to come by lately, as we see so many lies coming from our nation's capitol. And many will say this is a normal thing, that truth is a matter of perspective; that you believe exactly what you want to believe and that is that. However, in order for truth to in fact be truth, it MUST be absolute and here we come to the problem. What standard to achieve this goal? If everyone is right, then there is no right at all. For me, to understand this, I need to go back to basics... and that means things I know to be absolute... namely life and death. Intellectually I know that I will die, but its not until I SEE someone die that it hits me; then, it becomes reality and then I MUST come to grips with it. I begin with this passage from the New Testament and go from there.
John 1:1-18 (WEB)
1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2) The same was in the beginning with God.
3) All things were made through him. Without him was not anything made that has been made.
4) In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
5) The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness hasn’t overcome it.
6) There came a man, sent from God, whose name was John.
7) The same came as a witness, that he might testify about the light, that all might believe through him.
8) He was not the light, but was sent that he might testify about the light.
9) The true light that enlightens everyone was coming into the world.
10) He was in the world, and the world was made through him, and the world didn’t recognize him.
11) He came to his own, and those who were his own didn’t receive him.
12) But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God’s children, to those who believe in his name:
13) who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
14) The Word became flesh, and lived among us. We saw his glory, such glory as of the one and only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
15) John testified about him. He cried out, saying, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me, for he was before me.’”
16) From his fullness we all received grace upon grace.
17) For the law was given through Moses. Grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.
18) No one has seen God at any time. The one and only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has declared him.
Jesus came back from death. Truth, documented beyond all doubt. It is my responsibility to face that fact. God sent Jesus, he did what he needed to do to combat death and made a way for me to do the same. The question remains whether or not I will put aside my own will and listen and obey him and THAT IS GENUINE TRUTH. All the light I will ever need has already been sent... straight from heaven and its better than any opening in any sky you will ever see!!!