What is the American dream? Recently, I have seen TV newscasters and articles on the Internet saying that "it" is dead. So, when I saw this picture, I just had to say something to this concept. Where is it written in our constitution that we are guaranteed home ownership? Where is the promise of continued financial success? What is success and more specifically, what is American success. Although it may seem odd at first, lets read this passage from the book of Joshua.
Joshua 1:1-9 (WEB)
1) Now it happened after the death of Moses the servant of Yahweh, that Yahweh spoke to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ servant, saying,
2) “Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, you, and all this people, to the land which I give to them, even to the children of Israel.
3) I have given you every place that the sole of your foot will tread on, as I told Moses.
4) From the wilderness, and this Lebanon, even to the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and to the great sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your border.
5) No man will be able to stand before you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not fail you nor forsake you.
6) “Be strong and courageous; for you shall cause this people to inherit the land which I swore to their fathers to give them.
7) Only be strong and very courageous, to observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded you. Don’t turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go.
8) This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall have good success.
9) Haven’t I commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Don’t be afraid, neither be dismayed: for Yahweh your God is with you wherever you go.”
(Joshua 1:1-9, WEB)
Joshua was told he would have success, but not a success based on money or wealth. Having the word of God in his mind and obeying it was to lead him to success. How does this old testament book relate to us? Well, consider, that the founders of American wanted religious freedom and their desire for this eventually led to our constitution. Houses decay, are destroyed by fire or flood or earthquake, but the eternal soul nurtured by God lasts forever. So, DO NOT FOLLOW THE ADVICE IN THE PICTURE; instead, let your heart be won over to the almighty God and he will guide your way. Then you will have success and no housing recession or job reductions can hurt you. You may or may not have a house, but an eternal dwelling in heaven sounds a lot better to me.