Strange picture; long and narrow. One of the points it makes with this perspective is size. When I look at this picture, I can't help but realize how really insignificant human beings are. We rule the planet, but are in fact quite small and dependent creatures. If something were to interrupt the food chain, we would be in big trouble. God cares for us and provides everything we truly need. Isn't it time we thought about it?
Psalms 8:1-9 WEB (R)
(1) Yahweh, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth, who has set your glory above the heavens!
(2) From the lips of babes and infants you have established strength, because of your adversaries, that you might silence the enemy and the avenger.
(3) When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have ordained;
(4) what is man, that you think of him? What is the son of man, that you care for him?
(5) For you have made him a little lower than God, and crowned him with glory and honor.
(6) You make him ruler over the works of your hands. You have put all things under his feet:
(7) All sheep and cattle, yes, and the animals of the field,
(8) The birds of the sky, the fish of the sea, and whatever passes through the paths of the seas.
(9) Yahweh, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!
And when you consider this, praise is due to HIM to provides so abundantly for us. I guess I will never truly understand WHY he thinks so much of human beings, but that isn't required. What IS REQUIRED is that we appreciate HIS blessings and give thanks. Now that is the proper perspective of things.