Somebody is happy!!! Animals can bring such pleasure!!! Most days my wife and I go for a swim in the community pool and once in a while a bird will come to the edge of the water for a drink. Now, the birds have seen many, many people, so they are not easily frightened and sometimes will let you come within a few inches of them, but this bird has them beat!!! Finding joy in the simplest of things is a wonderful habit, although sometimes it takes a bit of effort. Take this episode from the book of Luke for example...
Luke 2:1-20 (WEB)
1) Now it happened in those days, that a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be enrolled.
2) This was the first enrollment made when Quirinius was governor of Syria.
3) All went to enroll themselves, everyone to his own city.
4) Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and family of David;
5) to enroll himself with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him as wife, being pregnant.
6) It happened, while they were there, that the day had come that she should give birth.
7) She brought forth her firstborn son, and she wrapped him in bands of cloth, and laid him in a feeding trough, because there was no room for them in the inn.
8) There were shepherds in the same country staying in the field, and keeping watch by night over their flock.
9) Behold, an angel of the Lord stood by them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.
10) The angel said to them, “Don’t be afraid, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be to all the people.
11) For there is born to you, this day, in the city of David, a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.
12) This is the sign to you: you will find a baby wrapped in strips of cloth, lying in a feeding trough.”
13) Suddenly, there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army praising God, and saying,
14) “Glory to God in the highest, on earth peace, good will toward men.”
15) It happened, when the angels went away from them into the sky, that the shepherds said one to another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem, now, and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us.”
16) They came with haste, and found both Mary and Joseph, and the baby was lying in the feeding trough.
17) When they saw it, they publicized widely the saying which was spoken to them about this child.
18) All who heard it wondered at the things which were spoken to them by the shepherds.
19) But Mary kept all these sayings, pondering them in her heart.
20) The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, just as it was told them.
From everything I have ever seen, heard, read or even guessed, having babies is painful. I sort of cringe at the idea of what is happening, but at the same time I know it is a perfectly natural thing. The outcome of the whole process is a human being and what mother does not experience joy at the birth of her child? Yes, the simplest pleasures are the best because God has made them for us to enjoy and isn't that what life is all about?