Is the glass half-full or half-empty? How many times have you heard that one? This container looks like something that will hold beer, so lets just say for a moment that it is beer. Why would you want to label it half-empty? To get more and more and more of course. That's the thing about questions like this; you just have to ask why the question is being asked in the first place. So, lets take this concept and apply it to the words of Jesus.
Matthew 23:1-12 (WEB)
1) Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to his disciples,
2) saying, “The scribes and the Pharisees sat on Moses’ seat.
3) All things therefore whatever they tell you to observe, observe and do, but don’t do their works; for they say, and don’t do.
4) For they bind heavy burdens that are grievous to be borne, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not lift a finger to help them.
5) But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad, enlarge the fringes of their garments,
6) and love the place of honor at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues,
7) the salutations in the marketplaces, and to be called ‘Rabbi, Rabbi’ by men.
8) But don’t you be called ‘Rabbi,’ for one is your teacher, the Christ, and all of you are brothers.
9) Call no man on the earth your father, for one is your Father, he who is in heaven.
10) Neither be called masters, for one is your master, the Christ.
11) But he who is greatest among you will be your servant.
12) Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
(Matthew 23:1-12, WEB)
Why does Jesus say these things? Because the Scribes and Pharisees wanted to be viewed as great, to be exalted above others, that's why. If keeping a law which was hard to do was a great thing, then keeping an extremely hard law made you great ABOVE THAT OF YOUR PEERS (even if you didn't really keep it). It made you somebody, your glass was always half-full, no matter how much spirituality you had in reality. Jesus takes their half-full attitude and shows that they should be longing to be half-empty (for spirituality, not pride). Attitude is like that, it changes things and a good attitude will do just that, it will change you!!! When it comes to desiring a good (that is humble) attitude, always let your glass be half-empty, its good for you. Drinking too much beer, well, that can get you in trouble.