Hell, a subject nobody really likes to talk about; yet the reality of it is too terrible NOT to talk about. More than just an uncomfortable place, it is a place of endless torture. Jesus makes it quite plain that it is a place of endless suffering and death. Sounds really scary to me, yet in the Sermon on the mount Jesus describes the way to it as a broad path, where most people are headed. Again; really, really scary. So, if its so bad, why are most people headed in that direction? I can't know the reasons why most people do things and I suppose that like so many other things in this life, there is not just a single answer. However, I will try. Deception is my answer. Deception so cleaver, so maniacal, so intuitive that the unbelievable becomes reality. The accuser of mankind is the source of this and make no mistake, he is one dangerous adversary. Dangerous because he is a spiritual being who was at the side of God and even led a rebellion against the almighty. One tough opponent! His weapons vary from the most gentle insinuations to the most course, violent things we can imagine and more. Face it, he hates us; and the hate that is within his bosom is beyond all human description. Look at the way he even tried to tempt Jesus.
(1) Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
(2) When he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was hungry afterward.
(3) The tempter came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread."
(4) But he answered, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.' "
(5) Then the devil took him into the holy city. He set him on the pinnacle of the temple,
(6) and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written, 'He will put his angels in charge of you.' and, 'On their hands they will bear you up, so that you don't dash your foot against a stone.' "
(7) Jesus said to him, "Again, it is written, 'You shall not test the Lord, your God.' "
(8) Again, the devil took him to an exceedingly high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world, and their glory.
(9) He said to him, "I will give you all of these things, if you will fall down and worship me."
(10) Then Jesus said to him, "Get behind me, Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God, and you shall serve him only.' "
I know, I have used these verses before, but they JUST FIT. The Devil's deceptions are blown away by the correct use of the WORD OF GOD, but I wonder if you and I could do as well as Jesus did? I think the answer to that is found in another question: Do we immerse ourselves in God's Holy Word on a daily basis? If the answer is "yes", then our chances are pretty good; if not, well, danger awaits. As far as the picture goes, it is very clever, so I just had to use it. But I just wish they had not told me (in the fine print) that there was free bratwurst in hell; I have a hard time resisting food. But, relax, I am not in any danger, I don't like my bratwurst cooked over an open flame;I hope you don't like it that way!!