When you wish upon a Star
Bible Reading - 1 Kings 3: 1-14
Song - "I want to be a worker for the Lord"
A. The Disney channel has become part of our T.V.
regime (Avonlea is our favorite).
B. This channel has all sorts of things on it though.
MMC, movies, cartoons, animated features.
C. There is one animated feature(pinnocho) where a
cricket sings "when you wish upon a star".
D. The concept of what we really want out of life says
much about our Christianity.
E. The passage ( 1 Ki. 3:5-14 ) about king Solomon
provides us with a positive example.
A. The prologue: The situation of Solomon.
1. Solomon was King of Israel: with a political savvy.
2. Solomon was aware of the people's sacrifices.
3. Solomon loved the Lord.
B. The possibilities of the Grace of God. 5
1. If you heard this--- what would you ask for?
2. If God said this to you--- what would you do?
3. If we asked for something--- what criteria would
C. The perception of God in our lives. 6
1. Solomon saw God in his father's life & in his own.
2. Solomon saw blessings and realized they were from
3. Solomon perceived God & his own life as one.
D. The proper attitude for the Godly:
1. The song "count your many blessings is appropriate.
2. The sacrifice of pride is paramount to leadership.
3. The self-image of being God-dependent is
E. The priority of the needs of others. 8-9
1. He realized the great task before him-- he thought
2. He realized HE was lacking.
3. He realized what we need to--- place others before
F. The pleasure of God for the selfless. 10
1. What a short sentence-- with such great meaning.
2. What a success! How many of us have tried to please
God and FAILED.
3. What a blessing (example) to have God pleased with
G. The pronouncement of the blessings of
God's will. 11-14
1. Things he could have asked for... life, riches,
2. Thing of beauty was the wisdom of Solomon.
3. Things he didn't even ask for were given if he were
to be faithful like his father.
A. This passage gives us not only an historical account
of Solomon, but also an example to follow.
B. The perception of ourselves and also of others says
much about our submission to God.
C. The prayer for us: "Help us to do God's will"