Birthday cake?? Not one that I would want to receive! It does bring to mind a topic we must all deal with; our eventual demise. No one really LIKES to think about the topic, but if we are honest with ourselves, we KNOW we must at least address the issue. How we live will affect the life after. Jesus spoke about the topic in a rather straight forward way....
Luke 12:16-21 WEB (R)
(16) He spoke a parable to them, saying, "The ground of a certain rich man brought forth abundantly.
(17) He reasoned within himself, saying, 'What will I do, because I don't have room to store my crops?'
(18) He said, 'This is what I will do. I will pull down my barns, and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.
(19) I will tell my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years. Take your ease, eat, drink, be merry." '
(20) "But God said to him, 'You foolish one, tonight your soul is required of you. The things which you have prepared-whose will they be?'
(21) So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."
Is it wrong to have "things"? No, but what is wrong is to make them the focal point of your life. That is God's place. Rejoice in every day that God gives you and live it with HIM. Money and possessions are optional.