This is the first time I have ever seen this and immediately it left an impression on me. One of the foremost symbols of the freedom of this country being struck by lightening can be likened to freedom being attacked. Aside from lightening, what could attack our freedom? This question draws me to recent events within the country. We have a government that is spending out of control; spending so much that it is beyond belief. Last year, there was a voter backlash against it and many, many Republicans were elected; representatives charged with reducing the size and spending of government. Now, they are challenging the status quo and the democrats are fighting to keep things as they are; with no real end of the expansionism that has characterized the past 40 or so years. The president has used scare tactics once again to force his leftist agenda upon our nation and may in fact bypass the constitution by authorizing an increase to the national debt on his own. Personally, I find this appalling, but when I think about it, I am reminded of this passage from the book of Romans.
Romans 13:1-8 (WEB)
1) Let every soul be in subjection to the higher authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those who exist are ordained by God.
2) Therefore he who resists the authority, withstands the ordinance of God; and those who withstand will receive to themselves judgment.
3) For rulers are not a terror to the good work, but to the evil. Do you desire to have no fear of the authority? Do that which is good, and you will have praise from the same,
4) for he is a servant of God to you for good. But if you do that which is evil, be afraid, for he doesn’t bear the sword in vain; for he is a servant of God, an avenger for wrath to him who does evil.
5) Therefore you need to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath, but also for conscience’ sake.
6) For this reason you also pay taxes, for they are servants of God’s service, attending continually on this very thing.
7) Give therefore to everyone what you owe: taxes to whom taxes are due; customs to whom customs; respect to whom respect; honor to whom honor.
8) Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.
We must obey our leaders; this is a fundamental teaching of the New Testament!!! If they lawfully do what they are supposed to do, no action is necessary. If they do not, then, we as citizens must lawfully make our will felt at the ballot box. It is as simple as that!!! However, one thing remains; we are to respect and to show love towards them!!!!! Now this is hard, as it seems those in government have lost touch with the average American and are leading us to a collapse of civilization. But, whoever said being a Christian was easy? I encourage everyone who reads this to pray for them, to try to understand the situation and love them regardless what happens. Tall order. However, we all need to remember that God is in control and we need to accept this fact and obey HIM and not worry about the future. Even if the current situation may attack our way of life and the liberty we enjoy; God is greater than any government or leader ever to take power. Regardless of the outcome, if you belong to God, then you are really, truly, free and no one, know matter how powerful can take that away!!!!